• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

squirrels

fdr01

hey all,it seems i have some squirrels under my soffet and i live in mpls so i cant shoot them i have to repair the damage they have done but need to get them out first.anyone have any ideas.i talked to a guy and he wants 125$ just to come out and look and that seems a little steep.any ideas would be appreciated.fdr

Call the DNR! I think you can get a permit to set traps.

Otherwise a BB gun smile.gif

is it legal to shoot a bb gun in the city?cause i aint payin 125$ grin.gifand my neibors are super tree huggers and i have a feeling if they saw me they'd call the police.

Goto your local hardware store or Fleet Farm and buy a gopher trap, then goto your local bird store and buy some whole kernal corn or sunflower seeds for baiting the trap. Set the trap where the squirrels will find it, make sure you tie it down. Sprinkle a little corn around the trap and a few kernals under or on the pan. Check daily. Apply broomstick between ears once you catch them. They might chew up anything within reach when they are caught so keep that in mind! A small live trap will also work. Once you catch them, dip them in a tank of water for five minutes, they fail the swimming test every time!!!!

Good luck and let us know how you do!!

I didnt realize you had such a dark side Blackjack... LOL

"They fail the swim test every time"

HA.

just smash their brains out man... way less cruel than letting them drown for five minutes... shocked.gif

We have a big problem with Coon and I live trap them. I put the trap in a large garbage bag and put my Shop Vac hose in the bag and the other end on the tail pipe of my truck. It only takes about 4 minutes. confused.gifconfused.gif

Aquila (a mexican ammo manufacturer) makes a sub sonic .22 cal round that fires only off the primer. very quiet. especially when fired from inside the house. that solves the neighbor problem of them seeing you shooting. now just set up a little rodent bait station infront of a good backstop; and youve got yourself a nice little urban ambush.

I feel for ya. Do you need a permit for a live trap? I have a similar problem on a larger (varmint wise) scale. An army of racoons cruises through our back yard every night and washes themselves in the bird bath and cat water dishes (also cleans up whatever cat food is left) and then destroys my bird feeders. I thought I had a good new bird feeder that I had securely fastened to the tree. Well those suckers discovered how to unlatch and twist the seed container out of the main feeder and threw it to the ground. Where's the tyleonol? I got one last year with my bow during open season but they just keep multiplying so that's not much good.

If they've reached your attic, put a light and radio up there. They want it dark, and they want it quiet.

Then shoot them.....

hey guys thanks for all the input.i am digesting it and in a few days im gonna evict them.i'll probrobly mix it up a little.too bad i cant train a hawk or a big snake that would be a lot less messy grin.gif

alright here is the plan,the people who redid my roof circa 99 did a horrible job,i bought my house in 03 and dont have a clue who did it but the guy i bought the house from is an (Contact Us Please) and cut corners everywhere.but nuff said about that anyway i have to replace some 3/4-6" boards so im gonna rip that down exposing there nest.i also plan to have someone standing by with a pellet gun just in case.i also have some spray thet she dont like one bit specially when i spray it in her face,also i have a hoe with the blade broke off so it is basically a big hook and have no problem smashing her head in or shooting her with the pellet gun or anything else i have to do.i dont consider myself cruel but were talking about my house and 125$just to look is crazy.i will post my results and let you all know how it goes.fdr grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hey all just thought i would let you all know what happened. turns out squirrels are not easy to deter from chewing up roofs and once inside dont want to leave so i had to get tough and one junior had to die.the momma still wants to get back in but i have it sealed up like fort knox and am on patrol with the bb gun(she already got one so she is pretty shy now)the only thing i can hope is she decides to move on or sits still long enough for me to plug her in the face oh well thanks for all the advice.fdr

We had rabbit problems in the cities too. A bb gun is kinda weak for vamrints. I suggest a .177 or a .22 caliber pellet gun at least 1000 fps a 1500 works better yet. Pop out your screens and make sure the windows and doors are quiet and set the bait. We killed many a rabbit this way. neighbors dont see ya, its quiet enough that even on a still moonlight night people wonder what the sound was and its a powerful weapon. Just be safe about shooting. Shoot from the roof or up stairs if you can to shoot into the ground or If you have a fence like we did the wood will stop the pellet no problem. A bow works great too until you wound one and it cries and takesoff running down the street hitting cars with the arrow and dying in your neighbors yard only to stink and be found three days later!.Pellet rifles will work for everything up to a coon I think.