• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper South Long Lake

My family and I are going to be renting a cabin on Upper South Long Lake towards the end of June for a little time off. Since we're from the Minnesota River Valley I don't know to much about this lake. We had rented cabins in the Park Rapids area the last couple of years and decided we needed a change. Now we're not coming up to take every fish we catch, but would like to do a little fishing and keep enough for a meal. So if you would have any ideas of where to fish on this lake it would be greatly appreciated. Keeps the kids entertained ya know!

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to give this thread a bump because I too am looking at renting a cabin on this lake and wonder what people think overall of this lake?

What is the walleye, bass, and pike fishing like on this lake?

Thanks for any information anyone would offer up.

You should be able to catch some panfish pretty easy.

Good population of pike, bass, panfish, and walleye.

I haven't fished it in the summer near as much as winter, but I have caught some nice walleye/crappie icing.

There are 2 holes about mid-lake you could try for crappie.

Try the breaks, and weed edges for eyes and pike. Reed beds and cabbage for pike, bass and panfish. Mid-lake north side has a good reed finger that would be a favorite of mine.

You should have no trouble keeping kids or yourself busy.

Good Luck!

Thanks alot DaddyDucker!! Saves me alot of time looking.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I one more thing, what is the water clarity like on the lake? I have been to the MN DNR page it has it listed at 7 ft, is this accurate?

Yeah its a fairly clear lake. Its alot of fun to fish and you should have no problem finding multi species to catch.

I stayed up there last week for a little family r&r and had a wonderful time. We fished a little honey spot that we found a least once a day and produced a variety of different kinds of fish. Put it this way we were never bored. You locals have a beautiful area. Keep up the good work with your hospitality!

Partimer2 I am not going ask about your honey hole, but were you able to catch some 'eyes, and if so can I ask how you caught them (trolling, lindy rigs, jigs).

Well its kind of like this, I was out fishing most of the time with either my girls or my wife so I didn't much have time in for walleye fishing. But the guy next to me was trolling lindy rigs on the breaks and only managed 5 eyes all week so either he didn't know what he was doing or they weren't biting. Where we were fishing was the reeds out in the middle of the lake on the northeast corner of them. There is kind of a little point that comes out there where the bottom drops fairly fast. I did manage a couple walleyes there with a slip bobber and a leech. No wall hangers but eating size. Otherwise if your up for catching some slab crappies that was the spot, also some northerns and bass. Like I said we where never bored. It seemed like more of a morning, afternoon bite for some reason. Don't get me wrong I would rather fish with my family then chase a few walleyes all day. We had a blast!! Hope you do also! Good Luck!

Partimer, thanks for all that information. I'll probably troll some cranks or crawler or leech spinners. But I'm a lot like you, if the walleye bite is tough I'm moving deep to fish for bass or the docks. Good to know some nice crappies are in there and are catchable. I'll have to try your spot for some crappies. I got GPS map chip of the lake and I have marked a few underwater points and humps I am going to try. Thanks the reply.

Are you kidding me, slab crappies in South Long Lake? But what do you consider a slab crappie? Are you talkin' 14"ers here or good eaters (10-12"ers)? I guess you don't have to answer that partimer, but it doesn't matter this lake sees it's fair share of fishing pressure especially in the winter from central minnesotans. So when you said you were getting slab crappies I was suprised, cuz with the pressure it recieves you would figure it would be fished out with smaller 8-9" ((Contact Us Please) cover) crappies and your 3 to 4 (6-7") bluegills to a pound type fish left in the lake.

I do agree with you on one thing, I'd rather fish with family or friends or by myself for panfish or northern than chase walleyes all day and get 1 or 2. Thats why God made Mille Lacs, just hop on over there and get your 4 and get a few in the 22-26" range!

My daughter and I caught yes believe it or not most where in the 12-13" range and some where close to 14". It was a great time! I really couldn't believe it either. We were just fishing tube jigs with a minnow and slip bobber and slowly realing back in and they would hit. We would have to do various depths at times but they would always be around the boat somewhere. It was good quality time well spent with the kids.

Well thats pretty d*a*m*n good Partimer. Good to see the family had a good time, cuz thats what its all about when you go fishing with the wife and kids. If you can get away by yourself then its a whole different story!