Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frabillfisher

25 horse evinrude overreving...help

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1976 25 horse evinrude....today it just started doin this...i will start to take off and get going 1/4 throttle then it will just overrev.. i thought maybe it was the shear pin but pulled the prob off and that wasant it...also i still ran it at 1/4 after that because thats all i had...and it seemed to take a lot more gas then it should, any ideas..???

Did it "jump" or just over rev until you let up on it?

it just kept reving up untill i throttled it down...my dad said it could be the prop because its beat up but i wouldnt think that it would overrev like that just because of the prop??

Could be a spun prop. When the rpms shoot up does the speed go up or not? To test for a spun prop use a permanant marker and draw a mark on the prop and on the prop nut. If it over revs check your marks to see if they still line up. If not the hub is spun and it will either have to be fixed or you will need to get a new prop

No the speed does not go up...i have a new prop i just threw on and i geuss i will try i tommorow but am doubting thats the problem....?

About the only other thing it can be is a worn clutch dog that is slipping out of gear. I think I would rather it be the prop then a clutch or forward gear. Does it do it in reverse?

No it didnt rev high in reverse...it seemed to work normal in reverse.

Worn c-dogs (2 lug like this one has) USUALLY jump rather than "slip" . You will get a bang or it sounds/feels like you hit something. Just for the heck of it, have a look at the gear lube. Any burned smell or shavings?

It's a spun hub.

I agree, you have a spun hub. You should be good to go with the new prop.

Ok thanks guy for the help!!!It was just my prop...just in time for the opener...good luck to all!