• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye jigging line

Just spooled up my spinning reels for the season. My standard line for jigging and lindy rigging for walleyes is Berkley Trilene 6lb XT clear.

Behind me was a wall of lines and a video playing for the new sensitive line of mono from Trilene.

Does anyone have experience or strong preference for a different line?

The dude at GM urged me to give Gamma a try this year for my walleye set ups. Supposedly it's tough, low stretch, and low memory. haven't used it yet to comment first hand

I am trying Gamma Fluorocarbon this year on 2 of my rods... It better be nice for the price of the sutff, $20+ for 150yds? Thanks to ebay half the price...

I would definitely use Trilene XL instead of XT for jigging for walleyes. The XL is extra limp and is made for this type of subtle presentation. The XT is extra tuff and is more suited of fishing bass in the weeds.

However, I use Gama. Very soft and abraision resistant. It cost more, but it's worth it.

On a lindy I usually add a flourocarbon leader after the weight and swivel, but it's always been to "stiff" to spool up. Maybe I should pick up a spool of the Gama?

I mainly use XL for crappies and walleyes, although this year i got some Silver Thread AN40 for crankbaits, Bass will depend on the cover i am fishing as to whether i use superlines or XL. I have been sampling some of the new Trilene Maxx and although i am less than enthused about its large diameter, I am very impressed with its abrasion resistance. I have been using it sucker fishing in very rocky streams filled with sticks and logs and have not had one break off yet, furthermore i cant even find any little nicks in the line from fish going around sticks or rocks. definitely will be using this line in the future in place of XT.

Trilene XT is a great jigging line for when your jigging in a lot of rock or current and rock especially. Your last few inches of line take a pounding in that situation.

Try out Power Pro in the 6 or 8# test. You will be amazed at how much more you will feel. Cheaper than Gamma too. Although I use Gamma at times and like it.

I have used 6lb trylene xt (green) for years now. I have caught many many walleyes on that line and 4 Northerns over 40 inches on 6lb xt. I use nothing else

10/4 Fireline, 6/2 Fireline Crystal and Berkley Vanish (for snells, etc.) across the board for me.

I like Power Pro but if I am fishing an area where there are lots of snags then I will run Trilene XL so I can break off easy if necessary.

I like the fireline or power pro in the smallest dia. more feel of whats the jig doing

Power Pro 8/2 on all of my rods for years. Cajun Red 6# or 8# for leaders when I need one.

I used 8/2 Fireline Crystal all winter and really liked it for jigging. I will be spooling a couple of rods this spring with it also.

Cliff

I like trilene 6lb xl low-vis green. If your doing a lot of deep vertical jigging use a quality swivel a couple ft up from the jig. Been useing this line for it seems 20 years.

For strictly jigging, I use 10/4 fireline. It's very sensitive, esp.when teamed with a good rod. Hooksets are instant. I have always used the smoke color, but tried some of the crystal up on the rainy this spring and really liked that as well. And, I have never found anything stronger....seriously, have pulled in waterlogged trees, even anchors lodged in the mud and with a good knot, it won't break. That, or your hook will straighten out first. And if it gets "furry", don't let it fool you, it is usually still very strong. I just keep trimming the end.

The downside is that fireline isn't as versatile all around. If you're casting stuff that is lighter, less dense, or is less wind resistant, it tangles pretty easy around the lures (ie: a spinnerbait or crankbait), and once tangled, it is very hard to get knots out. In that case, I like to use Trilene XT, and always keep extra reel spools handy in case I need to switch back and forth.

set up four rods with 14/6 fireline crystal. Used these for pulling lindys, trolling cranks, and jigging last weekend. Worked very well in all applications. There's something a little different with the crystal vs. the smoke - seems to cast a bit better and is nearly invisible once it hits the water. For me, this stuff is by far the best all-around line out there!

Great to hear since i just did the same and didn't know how it would turn out, cant wait to use it onl 10 days 1 hour from now.

How do you feel about the Cajun Red? I spooled up some 6lbs last night, and I don't think that it is going to hold a knot very well. Any other thoughts???

My standard mono is Cabela's ProLine in clear and low visibility green. I've found that my catch rate has gone up as I've respooled more often and the Cabela's mono is cheap enough so that I can respool my familly's reels fairly often. I do use XT for trolling, fireline for a couple of reels, and PowerPro for the Muskie, Pike, Bass in the muck reels. I've been using pline on my ice fishing rods and have found it to be very good so I'm going to try the PLine Fluorocarbon on a finesse bass setup (shakey head) and PLine Floroclear (6lb test) on a walleye setup, so we'll see in a few weeks grin.gif On a side note, I've been looking for something to use in place of Maxima for steelhead fishing (something that coils less) and the PLine Clear Fluroescent works very well; low memory, uncoils nicely in the cold, and you can see it enter the water when drift fishing, good stuff.

Quote:

How do you feel about the Cajun Red? I spooled up some 6lbs last night, and I don't think that it is going to hold a knot very well. Any other thoughts???

Cajun red is great. Knots will hold, and I like it a lot. Just make sure to use casting on casting reels and spinning on spinning reels. Get the wrong style on the wrong reel and it will keep uncoiling from your spinning like crazy, and make you swear a lot smile.gif

My buddy won't sotp talking about gamma... so i am puttin it on two set-ups this year hopefully it works as much as he has continously talked it up since last season..

Quote:

Cajun red is great. Knots will hold, and I like it a lot. Just make sure to use casting on casting reels and spinning on spinning reels. Get the wrong style on the wrong reel and it will keep uncoiling from your spinning like crazy, and make you swear a lot
smile.gif

Thank you for the positive reassurance. How do you feel about using it in shallow water? From the reading I have done; the line filters out around 12' of water. With red being the most visable color to a walleye is this a bad line to be used in 3-5 feet of water?

I don't care at all for cajun red. It's poor quality and very inconsistent in diameter and strength, and it stretches a mile. I use it for backing because it's cheap, other than that I don't use it at all.

I have never used it so I couldn't tell you, but I haven't many good things about and a I talked to a guy at GM and he said he didn't like it at all. I don't intend to try it. I have used p-line a lot and it works really well so ill stick to that.

I use P-line fluoroclear on all my walleye jigging rods. Also use it for my clear water bass, trout and crappie rods also.

I went to Hendricks last night with my newly spooled cajun Red... Today, it is newly spooled with Trilene XL!!!! It didn't cast well, it liked to be a tangled mess, even though it was for spinning combos, and it was spooled corectly. I had a fisherman's knot come untied on a white bass, but to top it all off I had a nice eye up to the boat and snaped the line... Lets just say I had a bad experiece with cajun red. Luckly I had trilene xl spooled and ready to go on my back up spool. Once I changed out my spools, my troubles ended, and I caught some nice eyes.

Hey LBSportsman...who are you? I grew up in Ivanhoe. My brother was on Hendricks last night.

Who's your brother? Once I got my spool changed I put on a free clinic, he should have attended... I love those days when you are the only one in the boat hooking fish!