• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Norway Beach Campground

I might be staying at norway beach campground memorial weekend, was just curious how nice it is there. How is the launch? And is there places to keep my boat beached? Also, I've never fished cass before, how is it that time of year?

I can't comment on the camping facilities. But the ramp isn't the greatest due to water levels. Depending on what kind of boat and/or trailer that you have, it may make it easier. But it's pretty dang shallow and if the wind is blowing in, it makes it a bit interesting. I also don't know that there's a good place to beach the boat. Unless there's a protected harbor area somewhere that I've never seen, the whole area will be very wind blown with any type of northly wind. A south wind and you're fine as it's all sand.

Aaron

I guess I'm not all that worried about the launch, I have a 14' aluminum with a small trailer...I've launched with no problems in some of the poorest launches you can imagine. Being able to beach the boat so I don't have to launch and load it everyday is my biggest concern.

I did that ONCE-- I won't do it again. I beached my 14' boat about 1/2 way up on the sand, overnight the wind switched to the west and came up. In the morning the boat was 1/2 full of water, water in the gas tank, battery under water. It took about 3 hours of work to get things in shape enough to go out fishing. The next time I camped there, the boat was on the trailer at night. The camp sites are pretty nice and roomy, although under big pine trees, so sometimes they give off a lot of green stuff( chloraphyl, I think). It isn't a bad camping.. fishing spot, but I would watch the wind for sure.

Have fun. laugh.gif

Campground is nice, quiet and most site are protected and private. The landing is concrete with a dock, on the shallower level, but with a 14' alum should be no problem. Just north of Norway beach campground is another public landing at Knutson dam for Cass Lake and the Mississippi river and just off Hi 2 just east of the town of Cass Lake by the rest stop is another very good landing with access to pike bay thru the channel right there too. You could also go and fish pug hole or Kitchie if the winds are a problem. The resort right there would have an access fee but still worth it if the winds are strong because you are very protect in the turtle river right there. I guess it just depends on the weather but on the Cass lake chain there is always a place to go no matter the wind direction.

If you want to leave your boat in try to get a lakeside campsite in the Cass Lake Loop of the Norway beach Complex. Great campsites, very protected from the wind (its in a little bay). Your boat will be about 50' from your campfire. There's running water, Showers, toilets in that campground. Plus there are numerous small lakes within 20 miles of that campground that can give you great fishing - better than cass at times - if the wind comes up.

Quote:

better than cass at times - if the wind comes up.

It's windy on Cass??? grin.gif

JB,

Norway is an AWESOME campground. You'll be very happy with your decision and because you do have a 14 footer you shouldn't have problems launching your boat. But I would recomend putting in and taking out everynight for the piece of mind. Lets say I know from experience there crazy.gif but is a great place and you will enjoy it.

Have fun.

MR

Thanks for the info...I guess I'll just take the extra 2.7 minutes it takes to launch and load the boat everyday. Couldn't get a lakeside site, I'm actually surprised I was able to get any site so soon to memorial weekend...I tried getting a spot on winnie 2 months ago and everything was booked! Should be good times though.

JBMasterangler,

I have camped many tines at Norway beach and also think it is a beautiful spot. I used to beach my 17foot / 90HP boat on the beach at night, but got swamped badly one night in a thunderstorm. What I did in the years after that was make an arrangement to dock my boat overnight at the Norway Beach Resort adjacent to the boat ramp. I would walk or bike down from my camp site each morning to get the boat and at the end of the day, leave it docked overnight. I don't know the phone number for the resort, but you might want to call to see if they would have an extra slip to tie up to. It also gave my little ones a chance to visit the Norway Beach Store at the resort and get a popsicle or other treat.

I'll leave a report on my experience at norway beach. From what you all have said and what I've read about it, it sounds like it'll be good times. I'm sure I'll like it alot, maybe even enough to make it an annual trip.