Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skiinglady

Help! What flies should I start with?

8 posts in this topic

On May 12th, I am going fly fishing down in Whitewater for my first time ever. I have no idea what to bring for flies. I know you are supposed to 'match the hatch' but what if you only own 5 flies and none of them look like what's hatching? Do I need to buy 20 different flies before I get there just to have a hope of catching something?

3 - #14 or #16 or #18 Pheasant Tail nymphs

3 - #14 or #16 Blue Wing Olive

3 - #14 or #16 Adams and Parachute Adams

3 - #16 Elk Hair Caddis

I also like a blond wulff and royal humpy just because they are so buggy looking. Also might want to think about a few duns.

Thanks for the input. Where might I get said flies?

the fly anglers in fridley or bob's fly shop in stillwater. I don't think you can go wrong with hare's ears or some bh nymphs. Ask the local shops! They're very helpful!

You mean Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop in Lake Elmo?

that's gotta be the one he means-- there's only three in the metro-- those two and bentley's in bloomington.... all three are great little shops with very helpful folks.....

Yup! Sorry...I get lake elmo and stillwater mixed all the time! blush.gif They're just so close together!

i would bring some Bead head damsle nymphs down there also in like a size 16, the elba gas staion also has flys there, if u need some when u are down there