• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everybody!

What kind of demand would there be for lake maps for the Otter Tail county area? I have recently been doing my own surveys of a few lakes in the county. These maps reveal unknown structure that could be useful to a fisherman.

Paper maps and even cards made to read on your Lowrance and Garmin Gps units will be available. I'm going to be doing many smaller lakes that the "big guys" won't ever survey.

Maybe the DNR maps aren't good enough for you. I would like to know how much you would pay for such useful information.

Please feel free to write in your thoughts. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mapman

If they were good electronic maps with features that no one currently has, you could almost name your price. I would probably pay up to $50-$60 for a Otter Tail county "chip" that would work on my Lowrance graph. I'm done with paper maps since most everything is electronic now.

Smaller lakes are very vunerable to fishing pressure and this is going to put undue pressure on these fish. For someone to come in and map an entire small lake and all of its characteristics for profit doesn't seem ethical. Alot of the smaller lakes here in Western Minnesota don't have very many "features" and the fish key on them. These lakes are not big, I don't know the process, but scanning them, downloading the information and then putting it on a "chip" wouldn't be that long given their size. I know there will be a portion of people out there that say its public waters and anything additional is their "right". But that is their opinion and they are entitiled to it as am I. At what point as fishermen do we say enough is enough, do you want a lure that is downloaded from a computer to run a specific depth based on water clairty, fish species, size, time of year?

Leave the smaller lakes alone. Fishing is supposed to be a relaxing endevor, let's enjoy the chase, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but in the long run, the man who fishes always wins.... cool.gif

It matters what lakes you are doing, that is the key. There are some lakes that I would love to see quality maps on and would pay decent money for them, if they are accuarate, that is the key, its not that they are there, its that they are correct and cover the entire lake, where there might be hazords and everything. If you did one with OT county i and it was accurate and covered some lakes i wanted i would pay $90 for the chip. Maybe it would be just me, but people are paying that for Devils Lake and LOW why not our area lakes. Theres my .02 cents.

What kind of features would you think would be needed?

I have customized software and sonar that could be modified to add these features. My original plan was to just provide lake data as that is my main goal.

of course I agree with most of your thread. But as always there are big companies that are going to do just this in the future. I would guess that all lakes will be mapped sometime in the future. The Minnesota DNR has been mapping lakes for a long time and they provide the information for free. This data is available for virtually every lake in MN.

Of course the data is not that accurate. The maps I would produce does not mean the lake will be "fished out" the information is only what you can make of it.

What lakes do you think would be most desired in OT county?

Yes the maps would be gps accurate. I'm going to have a website setup soon with some sample data. I'll post the link when it is complete.

I guess I'm just to old fashioned, I remember the days of lining up the oak tree and the manure spreader, holding the anchor at the knot and drifting onto sandbars. Hope all goes well in your endevor. grin.gif

I believe that Navionics has this pretty much covered. I doubt that you will be able to compete with them.

I think this would be great for many fisherman, that dont like to hit the Bigger waters, I myself like to stick to the smaller lakes, I think that many people feel that way, I dont like the recreation scene on the bigger lakes. But somethin to help fish the smaller lakes is always helpful.

Thank you for the input. I have received mostly positive feedback. I would still like some readers to write in about lakes they would like to see.

Thanks again! keep the posts coming in.

I think every lake in Otter Tail county, even the very smallest, should have a detailed map if it has an access. If I can legally get on the water, I would like to know what's down there. I usually like to fish the small lakes because there is less pressure and they can be hidden gems. There is tough competition now with these maps, but if you have the niche of small lakes you might be able to make it. Good luck.

I'll bite Mapman.

I'd like to see East Battle in detail. Theres a lot of "stuff" in that lake thats not on the generic DNR map.

The sky is the limit in OT county though. Pick 10 and go for it.

I'd like to see Long Lake by Vergas and Rose in detail, Very good lakes.

East Battle is one that I have some data collected but is a work in progress. This information is very valuable! as far as Rose and Long I will consider them for my list. I would like to brag for a minute....The technology that I have would allow me to do these lakes in a short period of time.

I'm exploring the option of waterproof paper maps at this time and could be available shortly. Thanks for the input again, keep it coming in!

By detailed your talking 3' contour lines ? If so I would like to see clitherall, buchanan, big pine , little pine,and all the leafs on your list.

They are not the high def maps though.

In Ottertail County, the 07 chip only has a few of the high def maps. All the other lake maps are just the generic DNR type maps. Little to no accurate detail.

Getting these smaller lakes in hi-def 3 foot contours is my mission. Great to hear about the lakes users would like. My list is growing. Thanks.

I would like some of the high water lakes...

South Turtle

Norway

Fish (weetown)

North Turtle (if they put an access in)

Some of these lakes have gone up 8-10 feet since the DNR maps were put out....

YES!!! to the high water lakes.

Any map I've seen on these lakes are pretty much worthless.

High water lakes? interesting. I'll have to give that some thought. The website is almost ready...but I still haven't come up with any "catchy" names.

As was mentioned these 4 lakes the maps are pretty much useless when it comes to specific detail, they give you the general idea of bottom structure in the old lake basin, but some of the lakes have grown in size and flooded other area low bottoms and structure that were High and Dry in the old DNR maps. These are extremly small lakes and I don't know if the demand for them would be out there. I would bet the water proof maps at local bait stores would do good.

It won't be long and they will be coming out with the lakes suggested. In three and even one foot contours.

Yes, they are good but they will not be on small lakes anytime soon. Plus you will have to pay a lot of money for their maps.

How do you know they won't be on small lakes soon? It may be sooner than you think. Also, are you going to charge less than $20 for two lakes together like West Battle and Rush Lake? Also charge less than $100 for all the lakes that they have? I dont think so, and if you do, I will make sure that I buy some.

Mapman I know the DNR maps are old and lacking I live on Diamond lake in Kandiyohi county,I have my secret humps,rock piles,bars not shown on any maps,A year ago I spent 2 weeks early spring trolling just looking for spots like these and was suprized to see just how many there are!Its a 1500 acre lake,and I cant find a map that shows even the largest bar thats 150 yds. long and 20-30 yds wide in 10-15 ft.of water and tops out at 5 ft.What program do you use,do you run a grid system?at what intervals? could you post a sample?maybe of a lake thats in the sportsmans connection map book of Detroit lakes Ottertail area for comparision?

I use custom software that I have developed. GPS and sonar that is quite expensive. I've been doing this on my own and learning for about 4 years. It is more or less a hobby. I can get you some comparison data. Which lakes are you most interested in.

The only thing I can say to you is if you are married to them than stick with their product. No doubt they have excellent maps. I was just going to offer lakes that were probably not going to be in their "to do" list for some time. I started this thread to ask fisherman what lakes they would like to have. I respect your opinion.