• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy smallies this weekend?!

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm comin to Rainy this weekend & it looks like the ice might actually be gone! (knock on wood) My wife and I and a couple of friends are gonna take advantage of Woody's "springtime special". I've fished Rainy about a dozen times, so i have a decent understanding of the lake but was hopin' some smallie experts could give me some guidence. What are the odds I can find active fish this weekend?? Is it way too early? My plan is to start working the breaklines on the south side of dryweed island, working my way in from 30+ ft deep, then checking the bays. Would my time be better spents somewhere else? Should i start deeper? Should i forget the smallie's & target Pike or crappie?

I think i'm gonna try for the bronzeback regardless, but i just want an idea of how much effort i should put in before cutting bait. Will only be fishing the american side.

Hey Fishmeister! Not sure if you would remember me, but i used to work for WDIO TV outa duluth, you were kind enough to help me out when i did a story on the fall bite on Rainy a few years ago, and then again on an icefishing expedition, I'll try to stop in for a Mushroom & Swiss, but hopefully i'll be to busy RIPPIN LIP!

CC to Doc Holiday, thanks for taking time to talk to me on the phone the other day, maybe we'll see ya @ FR's, i'll keep you up to date.

I LOVE THIS SITE!

I like to start shallow and work my way deep first ice. Big smallies can be found in less than four feet of water right off the bat. Think warm black bottom spots like marsh that have some rock close by. A boulder field, in a marshy area, can be as good as it gets. I would work my way out stopping at locations like points, inside turns and reefs to just off the primary edge of the relative lake basin. Finally, when I get to about 25 feet I can turn around and head back because I know I missed them.

There was an article some time back in In Fisherman that Al wrote about look way, way, in there. Go duck hunting so to speak.

Pitch light jigs that can be controlled in a horizontal direction slowly. Fish mostly about 3/4's down the water column. Their strike zone is short but they WANT to eat.

Go slow and horizontal!

Good Luck

HI CAP.,

I'M PRETTY SURE I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AS I THINK YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO WORK AS A FINANCIAL PLANNER FOR E.D.J., IN FACT YOU MAY HAVE STAYED AT MY CABIN, IF I REMEMBER RIGHT., ANYWAY STOP INTO HARDEES & SAY HI, AND GOOD LUCK FISHING.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fishmiester, Yup, i'm still w/E.D.J. & a buddy of mine & I did stay at your cabin. Thanks again, that is an awesome place, & thanks to rainy dude for the advice, i'm sure we'll give it ALL a try. I suppose most folks will be thinkin bout the eyes next week, but i'll let ya know how i did in our search for smallies. Anyone know what the water temps are right now?

HEY CAP.,

DEPENDS WHERE YOUR AT, IN BLACK BAY 54+, RAT ROOT RIVER TO RAT ROOT LAKE IS 60, WATER IS DOWN SO HEATS UP QUICK. WATCH THAT PROP....OOPS-GONE!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Here's my report from this weekend. We weren't able to find any smallies but we did get to tussle with a few pike. We tried going way back in the thick stuff as Rainy Dude had suggested, but with the low water levels, that didn't work so well. The temp on the main lake was around 40, so if i had to guess i'd say the smallmouth are still deep.

We found our pike by trollin cranks, husky jerk's and floating raps, in wind swept bays, 6-10 ft. No monsters but enough action to keep us happy. Thanks Fishmeister and One Doggie for the advice. And a special thanks to Woody. We stayed in his newest lodging accomodation "The Point." Wow, that was top notch! I had the Mrs. along so it was nice to go first class all the way. Maybe now i can get her back up there. If you're heading up to Rainy, i'd highly recommend Woody's Resort, and ask him about "The Point".

Hey CG,

Glad to hear you had a nice trip. Yes the Point is a great new lodging spot at Woody's. I took a look at that the otherday. I'd book early the fishing is going to be awesome this summer. In regards to the Smallies I would have to agree that I bet those fish are hanging in some deeper haunts. I'm not a big smallmouth fisherman, but have caught them often by accident this time of year. Most often they have been in deeper holes close by shallow water. Hope everyone is fired up for the opener! I'll be taking my annual BWCA trip! Be safe on the water guys!