• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kab-Namakan Fishing

Greetings,

Our group is making its first trip to Kabetogama (staying at Voyageurs Park Lodge in mid-June) and I'm looking for any inside information on Pike, Walleye, Bass, etc. We've fished Canada for many years so we have the basics down but am just looking for some "local" favorites.

Thanks in advance,

Kong

Kong, The grassies are a good place to look for pike in June. Walleyes will be transitioning from spring to summer haunts with the key being transitioning (try picnic island, ram island and the rock pile off bittersweet and wood duck islands). I have only caught bass on accident so I have no info for you on that subject. Good luck and have fun!

Pike are everywhere, sizes will be in the previous reply area. Walleyes, as stated, will vary. This is my families 4th year around the same mid-june time frame and each year has been different. Tom Cod Bay in early morning and dusk. Last year wound up in Namakan Southwest bays and actually did well on both walleye and smallies. You'll catch fish, but don't expect it be like Canada. I, as well, spent 10 years going to Red Lake in Ontario, then started going to Kab when the kids started travelling with us. We'll be there week of June 9-16. Make sure you visit the Rock Garden on Kab, take a lunch and enjoy.

Thanks Bearfan!! We'll be there 6/16-23 and I appreciate the info. you've provided.

One more thing...any place online to get some good maps of KAB and Namakan?

There is a site within the MNDNR site called lakefinder with basic maps, but what you want to do is see Phil at the Gateway Store on the west side of the lake. They are right out on the highway by the Kabetogama Walleye statue. He has the most up to date maps and information as well as bait and tackle. He has been on the lake for nearly 20 years and he knows what is going on and always has the inside story! Good luck and have fun!

overdalimit

I second the lakefinder on the DNR website it has printable maps and lots of other great information about the chain of lakes like the type of bait fish and all the DNR research netting. Everything you would want to know about the lakes in general. I would also check with the resort you are staying at I'm sure they would have Maps and bait also. Enjoy your trip to Kab and leave some fish in the lake for the rest of us. Dock Boy

Thanks again ODL....I know the Walleye Statue you're talking about and will talk to Phil when we get there.

Thanks!