• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting Pumped for Opener on Mille Laces

Shack

I am about 99% sure Mille Laces will be the lake I open the fishing season with this year. That 1% change might be Minnetonka. I have opened the season with Mille Laces for many years. About 10 years ago, I went out on Minnetonka and I thought Mille Laces was crazy. My boys like Mille Laces and it is closer. Anyone else pumped?

Another thing, is slot still the same as it was in winter or did any changes occur?

I always get pumped this time of the year!!!! Slot is the same. No changes. Get up and fish the Sand, and you should have a blast!!!!! grin.gif

I am pumped also. Will be on the North side on the sand at 12:01. By the way Shackbash, I think I saw your car parked at a business in Elk River. If that was your car, nice car! If not, nice car anyways from your avatar.

If it was at fabrication shop, It was mine. Thanks. I firmly think Mille Laces will be my choice. Who can argue with me, nothing beets the opener, other than spending it on Mille Laces!

So all these posts about opener everyone is talking about fishing the north end sand...is it like bumper cars up there? I've been on Mille lacs before but never on opener. Is this where the fish are going to be stacked up or just the boats? grin.gifgrin.gif

I too am excited to get out and fish after being boatless for 5 years. cool.gif

im excited! only have one broski going though and my fishing buddy. we will be 3 in the boat starting out on the north end if the winds from the south.

regards,

minnesotatuff

MuleShack,

For the first couple of weeks (maybe longer depending on the weather) the North End Sand is hard to beat grin.gif. Some good areas Carlsona, Barnacle Bills. There are alot of boats anywhere on Opener. cool.gif

Get out in deep water 28 ft and start working in shallow, until fish are contacted. Don't be afraid to try 5-8 ft.

Long snells 7-9ft. Plain red hook or a single bead (red, chart. glow)leeches large maybe jumbo. (have crawlers also) Have a drift sock. Spinners may work also, use smaller blades (red, chart, copper, pink, rainbow). Get up there and have a blast. Post your results after opener. A ton of info will be here after the first couple of days.

Rodmaker

AHHHHHH, the early season long snell (with red bead). When I wrap it on my poll, it goes down and then around crank handle on my reel and back up to almost the tip of my rod. It is something fish like this time of year, the bait dangling far behind slip sinker.

Yup, that makes me smile smile.gif My leader is usually wrapped around the reel handle and then back up to the tip. 7-10 foot of leader and my wingspan still gives me enough room to get them netted. There are ten days left but we mustn't rush things. There are still turkeys to be shot.

I'm pumped! Let the summer begin. If you are up in Malmo and you see a guy with a camcorder rolling, come introduce yourself get some face time. I'm recording the whole adventure this year. I wish I would have done it last year. I love this warm weather...if it stays like this for the next 10 days we'll be in for some good fishin' I think. Hopefully we'll have good weather right up until that weekend and then we'll get the rain and cold. Warm water, cool air, and overcast and damp conditions make for perfect fishing weather and less crowds!

Ya, what Rodmaker said. My game plan is identical to his. Most years its good, although last year was a bloodbath, and this year is shaping up to be the same. Warm water temps., the spawn is over well before opener, several good year classes, ....WHAAAA!!!, O.K. breath....breath

Another trick to add. grin.gif If using a plain red hook, try a single glow bead. If you use spinners. Stay on the smaller side, hammered copper, and gold have worked well. I mix beads. A red, then chart. I keep rotating until the bottom of the spinner blade just hits the eye of the hook. grin.gif Then I use one chart. bead after the spinner.

Pulling the boat out of the garage tonight and get it running. Just love the smell and smoke from the defogging last fall!!!

I posted a forecast yesterday from accuweather on another post. Well, it changed. Here's the one from today for opening weekend:

Friday: H 67 L 44, partial sunshine

Saturday: H 70 L 42, partial sunshine

Sunday: H 59 L 38, sunshine

Like the sound of that forecast. Hopefully a west wind around 10mph maybe just a little more. perfect for drifting. Putting new line on the reels tonight also. I may even give trolling cranks a try mid afternoon if things slow down.

There's no way that forecast will hold. grin.gif

it would not be opener on mille lacs if the rain did not start to freeze up about 4 am.......

It sounds good now. We could only be so lucky!! grin.gif I've never launched at the Red Door. Is there alot of room for parking???

Parking at The Red Door is limited beyond 35 trucks or so. I'm headed over to Fisher's I think.

Hey,

What is the favorite FM marine channel up there? Just thought that a little chatter on the radio between pulling in fish would be entertaining...using screen names, it would be interesting to see who is out and how their doing...NOT that we could believe any info that is being put out... grin.gifcrazy.gif But Entertaining still the same!

I usually put the Radio on scan and listen to how everyone else is doin. You can here some really strange things on the radio on Millacs. My favorite (this is real) " Hey Jim there is a deer standing by the rode...now he his crossing... Holy #$%^ he got nailed by a big rig" I laughed so hard I didnt care if I cought another fish all day.

The "official" FM channel on the pond is 69. That is also the channel that we are monitoring here at the resort.

Paul,

Are the resorts staying open thru the night for boat launching? Any help would be appreciated.! I know we wont get up there until after midnight.

Muleshack,

I'm not sure about others as we have been going non-stop trying to get everything done and ready for the opener.

We will be doing whatever we can to accomodate our guests and those that wish to launch here. I would assume that many others will be doing the same, but it would be best to call them first.

Hunters Point - 320-676-3227

Fisher's 320-684-2221

Red Door - 218-678-3686

Is the ramp still steep at Fischer's??? Last time I launched there many years ago, all I remember is steep ramp now very even. confused.gif

Still fishing up in the Sand Sat??

We be doing the north end sand again this year for opener. Ya...there's a lot of boats...but just have patience with others and keep smiling. Fish usually cooperate so that helps. Be nice to each other up there! May we all catch and release the dirty 30!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the radio info.....I was always wondering about what channel to have it on.....JP

What size line do you use for your leader and what size hooks.

I use 1/0 - 2/0 colored hooks. I run an 8lbs vanish snell (7 to 10 feet long).