Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Kids to Kalmar Report – 4/28/07 (2 pics)

5 posts in this topic

RugbyGuy and I (2 kids at heart) dropped by KR7 on Saturday morning to enjoy the weather. The wind beat us there, but it didn’t affect the fishing much (just the casting).

We worked a stretch of shoreline that wasn’t far from the beaten path. I started out with the freeline approach and went 7 casts and seven misses. I knew there were fish there, but couldn’t hook a single one. Float Time

The head-wind made casting a float tough, but luckily you didn’t need to get it very far from shore. The fish were plentiful and aggressive. No need for live bait today. Plastics, plastics, plastics! We tried a variety of plastics including Exude Microshad, Culprit paddletails, and CrappieTom paddletails. The culprit plastics seemed to do the best, but they needed to be trimmed a bit so the smaller gills could mouth them.

Trip digits were easily attained and all fish were released. Most of our fish were small, but we did manage a couple decent ones. All the crappies (large and small) were terribly thin.

11.5"er

ty_perch2.jpg

10"+

andy_crappie1.jpg

We saw a couple families and with kids out there and they were having a blast. Someday that will be me but until then I encourage those that have kids to take advantage of this time of year and take your kids out fishing.

Catch and release is especially important during this time of year as the panfish are entering the spawning mode. As always, all fish we caught today were CPR'ed (Caught Photographed, and Released)

I took my wife out to Kalmar last night for a couple hours and the fish were more than cooperative. For the 1st hour it was mostly sunfish and the last hour the crappies turned on. Perch were mixed in throughout the evening. We both went 5/5 on the species in the lake (Bluegill, Green Sunfish, White Crappie, Black Crappie, and Perch). The vast majority of our catch were dinks, but it was still a great time.

To the kids out to Kalmar over the weekend. They had a blast. The fish came so quick and constant. The wind was blowing strong but that didn't stop us. Between the 4 of us,(wife, son, daughter, self) we hit all species of fish in the lake multiple times. Can wait to get the kids back there again.

Quote:

To the kids out to Kalmar over the weekend. They had a blast. The fish came so quick and constant. The wind was blowing strong but that didn't stop us. Between the 4 of us,(wife, son, daughter, self) we hit all species of fish in the lake multiple times. Can wait to get the kids back there again.

Priceless! Glad you found fish and thanks for sharing. I'll bet your kids loved it.

The kids were having such a fun time I had to threaten to never take them out fishing again so that I could take them home and have supper. Maybe next time I will have to pack up some food and eat there. My son was wishing we could camp out close to the lake. My kids make me laugh sometimes.