• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to prepare sturgeon?

Is there a post or link anyone knows of with instructions for the preferred method of preparing/cleaning a sturgeon?

I posted this on the Rainy River forum also.

Thanks in advance.

SAL

yeah, firtst you catch one, then you land it, then if you want you take a picture of it, finally you place it back in the water and congradulate yourself on returning a fish that is older than you back to were it came.

once you get off the water pull over at the first steak hut and order a t-bone, enjoy.

I think the guys that do keep them smoke them and from what I have heard they are quite good.

You may want to place this post in the Sharing Recipes forum for a few more replies.

Quote:

I think the guys that do keep them smoke them and from what I have heard they are quite good.

Thats what I've heard as well.

Not to start a big debate about C&R and stuff like that, but why?

IMO... smoked fish is smoked fish, some species taste better than others but it is still a smoked fish. There are LOTS of suckers out there that are good for smoking. Catfish too! Smoked channel cat may just be the best smoked fish I've ever had. They are more plentiful than sturgeon and a lot healthier as well not living in a river for 40-50 years before they are harvested.

because it is legal to do so!

why browbeat!!!

conservation, is a limit of 1 per person a year.

I heard sturgeon tastes like po'man's lobster basted in butter? Then again I tried catfish basted in butter and I thought that it sort of reminded me of lobster. Had a friend tried it and he near choke on it. But then again he believes putting a catfish in a bucket for a whole day is still fresh. crazy.gif

Quote:

its called conservation....

True, 1 per person, that is why you bring lots of kids.. muahhahahhaha...

My buddy Wink thinks conservation is taking me fishing because I seldom catch anything! I go fishing to hide from my wife anyway. grin.gif

You guys go ahead and eat em if you feel like you can't let em swim, but I will enjoy catching and releasing those old monsters..... I will probably not die of mercury poisoning anytime soon either wink.gif I feel I have no right to kill something that might be twice as old as I am, it may be legal but imho its wrong... as far as smaller channell cats, they taste awesome and haven't been in the river for 50_ years either... hot grease release for the Kitties grin.gif

Ok, first of all, for you smart alecs, what you think is conservation is actually preservation! How is you telling him to release all of his fish any different than a greenie telling you not to hunt?

He asked a simple question and you berate him. Now you know why more people don't come on these boards-

Ok, first of all, for you smart alecs, what you think is conservation is actually preservation! How is you telling him to release all of his fish any different than a greenie telling you not to hunt?

To the question as to how to prepare them... My dad was up there this spring and he met a guy who gave him a jar of canned Sturg. and he said it was very tasty!

Michael

He asked a simple question and you berate him. Now you know why more people don't come on these boards-

Hey I said go ahead and eat them if you want.... I think its stupid personally, ya might as well inject every chemical thats been dumped into the river in the last 50 years into your blood.

Theres no correlation to me saying release them and a greenie telling you not to hunt, I suppose if you were hunting ducks that lived there whole life in a sewage plant I would tell ya not to eat those to shocked.gif. We all know theres a bag limit of one per year on them, but think about where the fishery was and how many people fish them in the spring, if everyone kept there one fish the population would be right back where it was 20-40 years ago! Go ahead and keep your one if you want, but I am glad theres others on this board that realize how fragile the population is!

Guys we are all fishermen, to each his own. It all balances out. Some keep them and some don’t. Personally I prefer a nice fat walleye or a cat fish. We are all in this together, this fishing fraternity. If we all take only what we can eat we won’t deplete the stock. I’m afraid to eat too many big fish (yeah like I ever catch them) myself because of the mercury but that is my choice. cool.gif

When I lived in San Francisco we fished for sturgeon a lot and I have eaten them. Very good baked sort of like halibut. Little olive oil/butter to keep them from getting to dry add any seasoning you like. Italian dressing is a good all around choice. You need to peel off the skin just like you would a catfish. I would imagine any walleye recipe would work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had them smoked. As far as keeping them...if its within the law, he has every right. To those who wanna bust his walnuts, jump on over here, because the next legal musky I catch is got a date with a fillet knife. The standing bet is they should taste JUST like Northerns.

My pointis that the DNR set limits and regulations for a reason, no-one is holier than thou because they release a fish that the law says one is entitled to keep.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not touching the C&R debate (personally, I have released every Sturgeon I've ever caught myself), but . . . years ago a friend of mine had a Sturgeon smoked at Ye Olde Butcher Shop in Rochester and it was OK. I like smoked Pike or white bass much better myself, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sal I just fillet like anyother long torpedo fish,there tough and where the spines along sides are is tricky you'll get it.They taste real good fried like you would eyes nords.I like eatin em,shark texture different taste.

Wade I tried Muskey also,once never again! unless the extra heavey fishy taste and alge were not normal.It was TERRIBLE