• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice has almost got to be gone

MWard4400

I will be up in 10 days..... I am thinking that the ice is almost gone.... am I thinking correct?

Mark

It is slushing up but still present, remember that is one chunk of ice that is many many miles wide and over four feet thick in water that has no current and has seen no rain.

Thanks for the reply John,

So what your saying is that one chunk of ice that is many many miles wide and over four feet thick in water that has no current and has seen no rain, is just hanging around.

Darn it! lol

I am hoping rhe rain and temps will work on it.

Mark

Now that is Red lake for you, by this evening it is one big slushy mess floating around. With todays east wind it moved out deep, as soon as the wind turn west again it should slamm into shore and begin to finish itself off.

Nice to hear the waves splashing on shore this morning. It looks like all the ice is gone . should be good fishing this weekend with the boat.

Quote:

Nice to hear the waves splashing on shore this morning. It looks like all the ice is gone . should be good fishing this weekend with the boat.

Good deal I better finsish my coffe and go look, the way the wind is howling I'm guesing we went right from ice to whitecaps. Hey whatever it takes.

Ya this is good, ice is gone across the lake ...other then the shorline in front of the boat launches and the mouth of the river is jammed with a ice pack all the way back to the boat ramp. By this weekend it should be fine.

John, I think you were pulling my leg all along, that the ice has been gone for a long time.

I think he is trying to keep all of the crappies to himself. He doesnt want us southern folk, upnort taking all them crappies!

I cant blame him for that,theres nothing wrong with a few days of peace and quit while enjoying the open water and fishing a bit by him self before we all get up there and get in his way! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Quote:

John, I think you were pulling my leg all along, that the ice has been gone for a long time.

Funny thing is I was accused and cussed out over the phone this morning for doing just that. Then had to explain to a local resident the ice my be off the middle of the lake but if it is packed into the ramps and eastern shore how are you going to get the open water across the ice pack? confused.gif

Just so you guys know I drive to the lake before work, at lunch and after work to check on the conditions and I say it as I see it. Or I could say nothing and sit by the boat ramp and laugh as boats pull in after a three hour drive only to turn around because the ice is on or laugh because someone came up pumped for ice out fishing but missed it by two weeks. Another fun trick is to watch the guys plow into the ice when it turns black for a week before it busts up and they don't see it. I don't know how many times I have heard "The ice is out on Red, I seen when I went over the bridge"...at 65 miles per hour for 300 feet looking into the sun.

As for tonight the ice pack is has blown off of shore and is floating around the lake somewhere, it could be sitting at the narrows and may stay there with the forecasted east winds or the wind could swing out of the west and slam it back onto the eastern shore and plug up the boat ramps, like I said I say it as I see it and i have nothing to gain or lose by who is fishing on the lake. It doesn't matter of one boat or one thousand boats are on the lake, I won't be fishing by them either way.

Jon I was just kidding! I dont think you would lie to anyone anyway, since you make your money off us southern folk. I think everyone that reads this forum appreciates all the info you post. And Im sure you do post it as you see it. I want to thank you personally for all your posts, and info. Im sure some people take it for granite, but not most of us. Thanks for all your dedication to this forum, and all your helpfull tips!

Quote:

It doesn't matter of one boat or one thousand boats are on the lake, I won't be fishing by them either way.

So....John....What does your boat look like anyway smirk.gif lol

Quote:

So....John....What does your boat look like anyway
smirk.gif
lol

It took me several years but my boat looks just like everybody's boat and the truck looks like somebody just pulled it out of the scrap pile. I call it camo, I could be the Crestliner to the north or the Crestliner that took off south. wink.gif

"It took me several years but my boat looks just like everybody's boat"

I stil think that it is unfair that you do not let me and Buddy borrow it. grin.gif We would treat it just like it was our own. grin.gif

Quote:

I stil think that it is unfair that you do not let me and Buddy borrow it.
grin.gif
We would treat it just like it was our own.
grin.gif

Oh the horror. Captain Buddy From "Captian Buddie's Undewater Crappie Tours" and Captain Chaos from "Fleet Destructo" at the helm. I'm not sure what would be worse, Buddy trying to make it dive or you seeing just how shallow it will go.... "Yap if we just keep her on plane she should set right in there" while Buddy is yelling dive! dive! dive!