Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
PerchJerker

Spring Weed Control in Food Plots

PerchJerker

I'm looking for some expert opinions ....

My food plots are in northern Minnesota, pretty close to the north end of Winnie. Grasses, weeds, and clover are just starting to grow or green up. If I want to wait for all the weeds to be growing so I can hit them with Roundup I'll have to wait at least 2 more weeks.

All my plots are due for an application of lime this year, and I will be discing in the lime.

So what's the best way to control the weeds this spring? Wait 2 weeks and hit them with Roundup, then wait another week or two to lime, disc and plant? I'm not too sold on the idea of discing after spraying Roundup because of bringing up new weed seeds to germinate, but maybe that's the best way to go.

Or should I disc and lime now, and lightly disc again right before planting to take out any new weeds, and forget about spraying this spring? When I've done this previously it doesn't seem as effective at controlling the weeds.

So .... what's your thoughts on the best way to go this spring?

Code-Man

go full rate of Round Up or Equivelent Class Act and Full Rate of 2 4d. Spray and 5-7 days disc and lime same trip depending on if you want to spray...wait...disc back up then come back and then lime and disc again then plant. Best bet is wait 5 days after spraying before doing anything. By adding Round Up or equivelent + Class Act or equivelent + 2 4D you will get a nice burn down. it will take a few days to work so give it time before disking. After disking it wouldn't hurt to wait a few days since it will take most of a day for that depending on size and location but give it time and then lime after a week or so and then disc again to catch any weeds you missed prior. Chemical I would recomend not going to a chain store but go to a Coop or equivelent. It isn't to hard to find them...were the places that are running like chickens with our heads cut off.

hopefully answered your question.

PerchJerker

Thanks Code-Man. Sounds like I shouldn't till the plot until after I spray and give the herbicide a chance to work.

I go to a coop or a farm supply store to get my herbicide and fertilizer. I call it Roundup but what I use is a generic called Cornerstone (I think), it is 41% glyphosate and does the job and for a lot less money.

Code-Man

Round Up is just the trade name. Glyphosphate is what you want.

Round Up

Cornerstone

Touchdown

Glyphomax

if any of the generics have PLUS after it it means that they have some surfactant in it but it's nice to go with more surfactant to keep up with weeds. plus at 8 bucks a gallon for Class Act and any where from 15-25 bucks for Round Up it's hard to cut the cheapest thing instead of raising the round up rate.

Paradice

Clover is something you can spray after you plant. However, you can only spray for grasses. I use Post Plus. Just sprayed today as a matter of fact. I hauled manure on my clover last winter and inherited a fresh crop of grasses. If you're really ambitious, you can spot spray with 2-4-D for thistles and other undesired broadleaf species. After I hit the grass with Poast (check spelling) Mowing every 3 weeks, 5 if it's dry, will keep other weeds down. By september, it's picture worthy.

PerchJerker

I spray my clover with Poast and with 2,4D-B. The 2,4D-B takes care of most of the broadleafs, including thistles, and can be tank mixed with Poast.

Can't use 2,4D-B on chicory or brassicas though.