• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Solar Battery Chargers

lawman

Question

I was thinking about puting one of those solar chargers on my boat lift battery as I have to juice out on the dock. I see them for various prices $35 to $135. What should I look for.?

5 answers to this question

I tried one on my fish house a couple of years ago. I thought it would work so I picked one up for about $115. Hooked it up and it did not seem to keep up -- the battery would not stay charged.

I would think it would work better in the summer when the sun is out more often.

Word of warning -- I don't have thew solar charger anymore -- It was a magnet for fish house robbers. I was broken into that year and they took the solar charger -- good for them because the dumb thing didn't work anyway.

Good luck.

please check out one of my previous posts on this subject. i am sure you will find it informative. i have had solar panels on my fishhouse for five years now and am very pleased with them. thing is you have to spend some $$$$$ to get what you need. someone feel free to repost the link here as i am not sure how to do it. it was posted i think the first week of september last year. ... paul

For a trickle charge/battery maintainer I think solar will work good at reasonable cost.

For more steady use/higher-demand applications, the cost for enough solar power to keep up with the demand goes up considerably.

A 15W panel is roughly 1 amp output (considering full sunlight, I assume) which IMO is a strong trickle charge.