• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Holland Lake

Holland lake i havn't fished there since i was like 14 years old. Is there still a decent population of fish in there? I remember catching good numbers of bass there and a few snakers. Does this lake still produce?

ill tell u one thing i catch sooooo many panfish in there its not even funny but i wanna know where the northern are?

WOW confused.gif - Way to give up a honey hole......... good luck with all the people there in the next few weeks. When you find a good lake its probably a good idea to keep it to yourself. I know this site is designated for fishing reports but in my opinion I dont think people should give up the smaller lakes that prduce fish. Keep it to yourself if you want it to be a good lake in the future. Too many people out there aren't afraid to take every fish they catch. You are making it way too easy for the lazy to find a good fishing spot. Get off your lazy aces and go find a good spot. Exploring is part of the sport. I by the way have never even heard of this lake but I wouldn't be suprised if there aren't a few extra people out there in the near future. I wouldn't want you giving up my honey holes. smile.gif

I looked up Holland lake on the DNR website and it doesn't look like you gave up much. Hopefull in the future if you do find a honey hole you will keep it limited to a small number of people.

I really doubt that Holland is a honey hole at all. You should see the crowds there in the Spring. It has mostly small pannies. Occasional stocked trout and few pike. Holland's old glory days were long over.

If you really want to land some pike go to Snelling lake. There not incredibly big there but at least fun to catch. You do however get a big one every now and then.

Holland is nothing but Potato Chips so no honey hole was given in this thread.

fisherman andy, have you been to Snelling in the past couple of years? I've always wanted to dump the canoe in there & target pike, but haven't gotten around to it. It appears to weed up badly in the summer so I've always had it on my spring target list.

I was there Spring, Summer, Fall last year and still had plenty of Pike action with the surprise of a Muskie? Occasional nice Bass too.

I however haven't canoe'd it. Snelling was prone to flooding during heavy rains as I sometimes catch mix species of fish.

This year I have been spending most of my time further up North or down South of the Metro Areas.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try to get down there sometime this spring, especially since it's a lot closer to my house now...

I chuckled when I saw this lake has it's own thread. I live about 2 miles from there and here's what I know. There is no boat acess, the only people I have ever seen fish it are on the ice, I've punched more holes in that lake than I can count (a lot just going to check the ice depths in early winter) and looked around a lot with the camera. I have never seen or caught anything except tiny sunnies. I have seen kids fish for northerns with tip ups....

Overfished, plain and simple. My folks lived on that lake for twenty years, so I might know a tad what I'm talking about. cool.gif Summer fishing pressure isn't so bad, but the icefishing craze that has gained so much popularity in the last ten years crushed that lake. The days of nice fish and shore to shore bikinis on rafts are long gone now. grin.gif

this may surprise people but i know a really good crappie spot for ice fishing!

I caught a couple of nice trout there threw the ice, but them were the only two fish I caught, and me and my buddy fished all day into the night, for northern, craps and sunnies, all over the lake we punched holes I would never go back

• 4 months later...

so i was at holland today (yes in the rain) just to see if i could catch a sunnie or 2 well i did and they were all like 3 inches so i changed to northern and to my surprise i caught one off the dock with a MEPP 4 (28 inches)

Very nice, I heard there were some snakes in there but a 28, wow. Yea those sunnies are potatoe chip at best, and covered in black spots.

Use to fish there all the time before I had a car use to be good for bass and ive caught 2 little snakes on all the times I fished it.