• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

motor shut off.

Nutty Fisherman

Question

I just bought this boat and it has a 40hp evenrude on it. The problem I am having with it is it will start with the key but will not shut off with the key. It's around a 1999 motor. Would anybody have a idea about where to start looking for the problem.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Check for a bad ground on the black wire coming off the harness to the motor block. The switch kills the motor by grounding out the ignition. If thats not a bad connection, look if the wire became unhooked from the switch or has corroded. good luck.

You should get a service manual. My guess would be the ignition switch is bad and is not grounding out the ignition. There is a condition when carbon builds up and starts to glow red hot called "deiseling) where the motor will run non stop even without an ignition. Some Seafoam Deep creep will help this. If you have problems where the motor starts to run away diconnect the fuel line and choke the motor to kill it. Good luck

It starts good and isn't dieseling it just keeps idling. I'm thinking it's a ground some where to will have to follow the ground wire to the motor to see where it is hooked.