Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pikehunter461

Crappie Spawn

2 posts in this topic

I will be fishing the Canada side of Rainy June 2nd-9th. We will be staying in NW Bay. Based on where the ice is right now, will we be seeing the crappies on the beds still or will they be done spawning? Any idea what water temp triggers the spawn? If they are not on the beds, will they be nearly impossible to catch? Any insight is appreciated. Last year we were up the same week and sounds like we missed them by a week- but last year was a really early ice out. Lookng for tips for NW Bay, Ash, Alexandria region.

Thanks

HI PIKE,

CRAPPIES NEED AROUND 58 DEGREE WATER TO SPAWN, MANY TIMES THE PROBLEM ON RAINY IS WE HAVE VERY UNSTABLE WEATHER EARLY, AND IF CRAPPIES DO NOT GET THE RIGHT CONDITIONS, THEY MAY NOT SPAWN TILL AUGUST, AND SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT SPAWN AT ALL & ABSORB THEIR SPAWN. THE WAY OUR WEATHER HAS BEEN THIS LAST WEEK, I'M GUESSING OUR ICE WILL BE OUT SOMETIME THIS WEEK., BECAUSE OF OUR LOW WATER LEVELS, I'M THINKING OUR SHALLOW BAYS WHERE THOSE CRAPPIES ARE GOING IN TO SPAWN WILL BE HEATING UP QUICK, SO I THINK THE SPAWN WILL BE DONE EARLY, SO YOU MAY MISS IT BY A COUPLE WEEKS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER