Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fdr01

not done spawning!

9 posts in this topic

hey guys my old man was down by prescott and caught a few eyes and all were full of eggs,i thought the spawn was over.well needless to say they went back but is there any reason besides they havnt spawned yet like if they havnt layed there eggs yet there not going to,cause i thought the spawn should be 2 weeks past?fdr

My two larger ones were probably female and there were no eggs, so maybe some just did not purge 'em yet.

Hmmmm... I have the same experience with the ones I caught too. I released all the ones with the big belly, I caught one with the eggs coming out and let that one go too. I don't know but I think some of them are just late layers.

There's always some that are late...maybe it's that only the majority of the cows are done spawing.

so are the eggs a waste than or will the bulls find em to goo em up, seems to me i remember seeing eggs in some eyes just after mn opener before

Not all walleyes spawn at the same time,different parts of the river are at different temps so the spawn can go on for awhile.Also if conditions are not right,some females dont drop their eggs,they simply disolve in their system.

WE had a late spring this year!

I talked to a DNR fisheries guy last week. He said the spawn is about a week late in the southern half of the state and a week-and-a-half late in the northern half. The good news is this is an ideal spawning year according to him... gradual, slow warming without any significant changes, cold-fronts, storms, etc.

i cleaned 3 16 inch males that had not spawned yet sat. seems pretty late for not spawning yet. anyone else get any of these late spawners this weekend?