Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmy4218

Trout fishing/north shore/small boat

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips on how to rig a 16 foot aluminum for the north shore? I'm eyeballing the new mcquade road safe harbor and I've always wanted to try going for lakers and steelhead out there but don't have any references. Pictures would also be a huge plus if you're willing to share them. Any and all info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

J-4218,

What type of boat do you have? Is it a tiller, console, bench seats, swivel etc. Lots of differant ways to rig a boat depending on what you want to do and space available.

I had a 16' Lund tiller. From the drivers seat, I had it set up where I didn't have to move to reach the fishing rods for those times I was fishing alone.

#1 rule is safety. For a small boat, that means a kicker motor. Not only of get you off of the lake if/when the big motor quits, but can also be used for trolling if big motor doesn't troll down slow enough. Which leads to some basic equipment, you will always be trolling so plan on 3 times the rod holders for the number of rods you will be fishing with. This is something I did on my bigger boat and it made fishing not only more enjoyable, but alot less hassle.

Much has been written about rigging a small boat in the archives and I believe some pictures were even posted.

Provide more info. on what you have, and times of the year you plan on fishing the "Big Lake", and others will surely chime in.

Word of warning: Fishing Lake Superior is extremely addicting. Only cure is to fish it often grin.gif

I have a 15 foot Smokercraft with a 25 Honda. It has two swivel seats and a floor and not much else. I do have a downrigger and rods with line counters, a couple of dodgers and some cowbells. Other than that I'm starting fresh. As far as the time of year goes, I'll go whenever I have the time and the weather is cooperating. I have fished for Lakers at Saganaga and Snowbank lake but I'm a greenhorn as far as the big lake goes.

J-4218,

I see you are in Cloquet, I am in Thomson. Shoot me an email and maybe we can get together and I'll show you what I have used as far as downrigger presentations and also differant planer board options.

backcast@duluthmn.com