• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Landing Etiquette

muskiechaser

How does everybody else handle a busy boat landing? I was getting off the lake today, and there were three of us waiting our turn, doing circles in front of the dock. This other guy pulls up to shore, drops off his passenger, and gets his truck in line in front of us who were patiently waiting our turn to use the landing. Needless to say there were three unhappy boaters all giving this guy a nasty look. mad.gif Am I way out of line here? It seems to me if that was the way it works, it would be total chaos every time.

What are your thoughts?

John

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cold one sd

• muskiechaser

• united jigsticker

• slotlimit

My thoughts, If you are caught by a co or someone for any impolite violation you should have to take the mn boating test before you are allowed to drive your boat again.

Ive never seen a busy boat landing before. How long do you usually have to wait?

who was getting your vehicle and how far away was it? If I get to a landing and don't have to park 3 blocks away, should I wait for those vehicles to show up? On Prior Lake, there are people who park at Rainbow grocery store and ride a bike back to the landing. If I am lucky enough to be in the lot, I am not going to wait for Greg Lemond to ride his bike 3 miles round trip. If the guy cut in line with his truck, I would say something, if you and the other boats parked a distance away, I don't think he was wrong. If you were on spring lake, however, I am not surprised this happened

PBW...Thats kinda what I was thinking? If the landing was open, even if there were boats motoring around, why shouldn't the guy be able to use the launch if nobody is there?

Obviously, noboby was using the launch, otherwise, how did he get his trailer in there?

If he was able to get in, get his trailer onto the launch and start loading before the others got there, isn't it a case of first come first serve? I mean if the guy was parked that close?

Good guess on the lake. One guy had his boat at the dock, me and the other guy were waiting behind him just off of the dock. All three of us were parked in the lower lot I believe. I don't know where he was parked. It's not like its the end of the world or anything, it just seemed kind of rude when there were obviously other boats waiting to use the landing that were there before he came flying up.

As far as a wait, that would be about 35 minutes to get off the lake. I expect to wait on a perfect Saturday like this one, I have no problem with that, it comes with living in the cities.

I figured it was spring. Believe me, I don't fish that lake until school gets out and then I will fish it mon-fri, but never on the weekend. Rude yes, but not surprising. How was the fishing by the way? My boat is still in storage, I hope to get it this week and my boys are chomping at the bit to get out fishing (almost 6 yr and 4 yr old boys, think I have the fastest 40 hp. motor ever made grin.gif)

I was on Spring last summer with the boys when the guy ahead of us had loaded his boat once while we were docking and getting out, then he raced around the lot to get in front of us again because it wasn't exactly straight. I think he actually used a tape measurer on the second attept

I hadn't been on Spring for a long time, and the fishing was poor. It didn't look like anyone was doing well, there was a lot of moving around. I had trouble finding any weed growth, maybe these continued warm temps will help.

Enjoy fishing with the boys, I need to figure out how to get my two year old started, everything new to him is an automatic NO! frown.gif

Were you alone boating by chance??? this guy may have figured your fishing partner was getting your vehicle just as his partner was getting his ,,when I launch alone ,,I tie up out of the way and get in line to load my boat ,,,ramp ettiquete is pretty much who gets their tow vehicle in line to use the ramp ,,not necessarily who who is floating by the dock first JM2C

On a side note I wont fish the Mn opener due to the poor ramp behaviors but I will take my video camera to a few and maybe take a crack at winning some ching on Americas Funniest Home Videos

I had the same thoughts as loonasea. If I am fishing with a partner I always drop them off at the dock and wait out of the way of others until it is my turn. If I am by myself I will beach my boat away from the ramp and then go get my truck. But, I am not familar with the landing you were at and maybe beaching it wasn't an option? IMO, this is the fastest way to keep things moving at an access.

CMeyeguy has it. Do not take up space at the dock beach your boat if you can and then get in line. Leave the dock open to drop off people and for loading and un-loading boat. You never know what people are doing floating in front of dock dropping off, waiting to get in, waiting for someone to comeback from dropping off car or? Just my two cents. On the other side I have seen a many funny things happen that were worth the wait for some of them people grin.gif

I always say whoever has there trailer ready to load or unload gets to go in the order of trailers in line at the landing! It doesn't matter who pulled up to the dock first. Get your trailer and get in line and don't complain! wink.gif

Quote:

I always say whoever has there trailer ready to load or unload gets to go in the order of trailers in line at the landing! It doesn't matter who pulled up to the dock first. Get your trailer and get in line and don't complain!
wink.gif

Right that is what I do. I drop who ever is getting my truck off and then float around and wait my turn until they get the trailer in the water. That is the simpliest way that I know of.

well technically the line forms with the trucks not the boats, so if he was the only truck there he was 100% legal. I think that everyone should read the regs, they are really informative!

Quote:

I think that everyone should read the regs, they are really informative!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

As soon as I read your post, I knew it was spring. We were there this morning and had about 5 boats and 3 trucks all waiting. A log jam, but we got out in about twenty minutes. This was at about noon time.

I would give our group high marks. We moved in, loaded her up in a minute, pulled ahead far enough away so we could unload gear in a timely matter, covered the boat, tied her down, and left. We beat some of the other boats that got out before us. I think there was a thread about this topic last year where a handful of people gave out constructive criticism or advice on being courteous and speedy at the landing. Try searching for it if you're looking for tips.

BTW, fishing was okay. You could probably sort out a limit of "metro slabs" in the usual places. Beats staying home. Feathered jig heads and minnows drifting worked well and at the end slip bobbering.

The way it seems to work best around here is whoever is there with their truck first launches or loads. Some people call on their cell phone to have someone come down and pick them up at the launch. Are they supposed to wait for everyone circling to load first? Is someone comming down to launch supposed to wait for everyone that is circling close to the launch to load before they can launch? We pull up to the dock and let the person that is going to bring the truck down off and pull back off of the launch to wait for him or her.

I'd just like to expand on one thing da chise said:

Don't get to the boat landing, back halfway down the ramp, and then start to take off your tarp, load your gear, so on and so on. This can be done off to the side so people who are ready to unload can go in and decrease congestion. The same for loading out - pull all the way out and to the side, then unload your rods, coolers, etc. Somedays, nothing can get a trip started on the wrong foot like this can.

There, that's off my chest.

DD

Interesting. I don't usually fish in the middle of the day on Saturdays, so I don't run into busy landings too often. Anyway, good opinions all. Maybe my thinking was out of line, good to hear others viewpoints.

John

Are we all in that big of a hurry to leave the water??? I've been to busy landings and have been cut infront of. Sucks...but karmas a "bleep" I just sit and wait my turn..cast a line. I agree...please don't dilly dally at the launch!

I believe the same people who take their time at boat launches and get everything backed up are the same people that drive 55 in a 65 and cause traffic jams....loading and unloading a boat should only take 3-5 minutes each time hurry up people!!!!!!!!

Dear Public Water Access Dock Fisherpeople,

I WILL run your line over if you don't reel in when I am approaching the LANDING dock and you refuse to move.

The dock at the boat landing is for boat landing.

The pier is for fishing off of.

Have a nice day.

Jeff

If I'M in line at the landing...and happen to have a line in the water. People are willing to cut in front of you and run over your line? Wow...sad.

I am speaking of the people that fish off the dock at the boat landings and refuse to move while launchers and loaders need to use the dock and surrounding water to load and unload their boats.

My idea at the landing is to have someone back the traier in drive it on and get out. Idont like the idea getting truck unloading boat putting boat on trailer then loading up truck.This happens to me when there is storm coming.

If it's my line ya ran over....prepare for the butt kickin....my taxes paid for that dock as much as you in your boat...no where does it say NO FISHING.....public is public.

Here's how I think people should put in and out of the water. Treat it like a four way stop, whoever is got to the dock first gets to take out first. If you are putting a boat in the water, you wait until all people that were waiting when you got there to get their boat out of the water. If you have a passenger you should drop them off to go get the truck so others don't have to wait so long. When you are putting your boat in the water, don't sit on the side of the dock with the landing, move your boat to the oppsite side so others can use the landing. Bottom line when your putting you boat in or taking your boat out its like fishing your going to have to be patient.

It's about courtesy, plain and simple. A boat landing is simple, just like everyone has eluded to. While you wait for the landing to clear you can untarp, load up, take straps off, pee, say hi to everyone behind you and then put in the boat. Vice versa on the way out. I tought my fiance to back up the trailer so I can pull up and she can get in line. I pull the boat on and hook up, she drives out. I can say that while she was learning, she did anger a few people, but once they found out she was learning, they were glad to see we were trying to speed up the process. We are all there to have fun, fish and relax.......can't we all just get along? confused.gifgrin.gif

It's threads like this that make me nervous as heck when I land and launch my boat. I'm a first time boat owner who fishes mostly with my kids.. So I do all the work alone. Luckily, so far, everyone I've met at the landing as been helpful.

Actually some of the docks do say no fishing, at least in the metro.