Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castindad

circuit breaker problem

7 posts in this topic

curcit breaker that runs current to the garage stays on for a minute then breraks? some digging has taken place recently is it possible a underground wire may have been scrapped? any info will help castindad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it did'nt do it (break) untill after digging your most likely on the right track.Do you know where that line is burried? Turn the breaker off and dig it up,You can splice underground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From past experience I would start off by replacing the circuit breaker. They do and can go bad. This is one of them been there done that pieces of advice. Had a dryer problem, tore the dryer apart and ended up just buying a replacement dryer only to find out it was the breaker which I had joking told the wife was the only thing I had not checked. I now have a spare dryer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BB grin.gif I've been there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a chance that you have something plugged in that is shorted out. I would start by making sure everything is shut off and unplugged in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to put my .02 in here. Since he states that it stays on for a minute then it trips I am going to say that this is an overload, not an overcurrent (or short as it's commonly called) This commonly happens when wires are underground and either damaged with a shovel or by a gopher. There typically isn't enough resistance to cause a high current flow to imediatly trip the breaker.

Definition of an overload: Operation of equipment in excess of normal, full-load rating, or of a conductor in excess of rated ampacity that, when it persists for a sufficient length of time, would cause damage or dangerous overheating. A fault, such as a short circuit or ground fault, is not an oveload.

Remember, when running wires underground at a residence you (if rated under 20 amps) either HAVE to GFCI protect it and burry it at least 12 inches deep, run it in rigid metal conduit at 6 inches deep, use a listed non-metalic direct burial raceway at 18 inches or listed direct burial cable at 24 inches.

Hope that helps out somewhat. When you put wires in the ground put them in deep, and at least put them in PVC at 18". It sure saves the headaches later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks to all you guys very helpful will let you know results thanks again castindad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0