Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
farmerscholz

walleye tips

4 posts in this topic

looking for some tips or good lakes for walleye around

underwood. will be in the area memorial weekend any info

would be great

If you're in the Underwood area, I would go to Ottertail first.

Lots of structure, and lots of walleyes. They do tend to run a bit small. This lake has everything, shoreline breaks, mid lake humps and flats, and good night trolling.

The night trolling is usually a July and later bite.

The shore breaks are sometimes very far off shore. There are big expansive sand flats and some cabbage beds that hold perch (and walleyes too).

From a boat:

I've had better luck starting out really shallow, like six feet, and if I find nothing there go really deep, like thirty feet. When shallow I try jig and minnow or leech and deeper I use bottom bouncer and spinner with a crawler.

Shore fishing:

Walleyes will absolutely hammer small crankbaits in the shallows after dark. Find a spot with deeper water nearby and preferably rocky or gravel shoreline and if possible with moving water. Find a small crankbait that looks like a shiner minnow. Speed can be crucial so if you have moving water check which direction the current is moving. You will reel slower against the current than with it. Start with a steady retrieve. If nothing happens with that, crank it in a little and then snap the rod tip hard a couple of times. This makes the crankbait dart in different directions a couple of times and looks like its wounded. Sometimes this will trigger the most violent strikes.

Good luck!

THANKS FOR THE INFO HOPEFULLY THIS BEGINER FROM NEBRASKA

WILL HAVE SOME LUCK AND CATCH SOME BIG ONES smile.gif