Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2thepointsetters

New Gun Dog Breed????????????

11 posts in this topic

About 9 weeks ago my english setter and beagle got together when we weren't watching....

Well now I have very interesting mixed breed pups. Both the setter and the beagle are great pheasant dogs. So I am wondering if I will now have pointing beagles? confused.gif

Here is a pic of one the pups and one of my setter. I dont have a pic of the beagle on here yet.

DSC00357.jpg

buddy3.jpg

hollyandpups.jpg

Classic! grin.gif

I can picture it now, a solid tail up point on a snowshoe hare while baying!!! grin.gif

My buddy used to hunt pheasant behind a Basset Hound. He was slow, but the birds never stood a chance.

Are you going to keep a pup to see how they turn out?

Good Luck!

Ken

Right now I plan on keeping one to see how it turns out.(The only problem I might have is that I live in town and all ready have 3 dogs) A couple of guys that have hunted with my dogs also are interested.

What do you call them?? English beagles? Setteagles?

Interesting mix.

beagle + setter======== better

or

setter + beagle========= seagle

thats the two names people have called them when they saw them

I really think I might be on to something. I cant wait til they are old enough to try pointing at a wing on the string.

Have a dog now that when she was young would start barking when she got birdie. it was a riot.

3 out of 5 of the pups are pointing the wing. They look more like setter than beagle. I will try and get a picture of one on point. (It will be hard becasue they hold it for a second or two, which isn't to bad for 6 weeks old)

Here is a pic from today of the beagle/setter at 6 months, this is the first time I have seen the pup since he left the litter in June. (he is the one from the first pic on this topic curled up in my lap)He points awesome and backs his father like a seasoned vet. I am really impressed with the young pup.

007.jpg

Sweet looking dog! I like how he has the longer setter legs. I think they turned out great looking. Sound like good hunters too.

Ironic or not I once had a litter of pointsetters-2thepointsetter My roomates setter and my pointer got together...Those dogs turned out great and were free to anyone that wanted one.....Good luck with your seagles!!!!