Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troutchaser

Rainy May 17th, 18th , 19th

7 posts in this topic

Hello

A friend and I will be heading to Rainy on the dates above, and are looking for advice on catching walleys and jacks on the US side. We would really like to be able to throw cranks at them. This is the earliest we have every come up to Rainy so we are at a bit of a loss as were to start.

Thanks and any help is appreciated. grin.gif

Hi Troutchaser,

The spawn is taking place right now. Traditional spots in which will produce on the opening couple weeks will be to find the first break point off spawning grounds. I suspect the lowlight periods will bring these fish fairly shallow. Casting Husky jerks will likely be a good starting point. I've caught and released 7 pike over 10lbs in the past 4 days. Your picking a nice time if you prefer to cast cranks and stickbaits. Be flexible though as depending on the weather the fish may not be aggresive enough to chase cranks. If a cold snap should set in I'd be fishing light jig and minnows or slipbobbers myself. Get yourself a good map and study the likely spawning territory, and then note first access to deeper haunts. If thats not working come in the intermediate grounds and cast or troll cranks if that is what you prefer. Regardless have a great trip to Rainy! Arguably the hottest fishery in the state right now!

Good Fishing!

I've had some luck for the jacks, tossing jerk-baits that time of year. Usually its at a drop off from a shallow inlet or bay. (the inlets around Big Island have been very good to me for big jacks on jerk baits). For Walleye try trolling jerk baits with planer boards around the structure and along the shore. I usually troll jerks over an area and drift back over with live bait. Its been deadly for me. I have never had much luck casting jerks for Walleye that time of year so if you have luck please let me know, the info would very much be appreciated. Good fishing, feel free to contact me when your up If I can help.

Thanks for the help. This forum really helps us to optimize the short periods of time we are able to make it to our favorite fishing spot. Another question - Are there any typical walleye spawning areas on the US side? I have looked over a map, but have not really noticed anything that stands out. We are really looking forward to hitting the lake for the first time of the year!! grin.gif Also how is the water level of the lake doing?

THanks again so much for the help.

Hey Troutchaser,

Black Bay is a good start. Most other bays and areas in the secondary {back} channel will likely serve you well. Husky jerks casted in the back channel is pretty traditional. You'll likely catch a mix of eyes and jacks. Water levels very low, and the rain dance doesn't seem to be working. Be very careful when venturing off the main channels. Good Fishing!

RD

Thanks for the reply. We have run through the back channels coming and going before, and I have always thought that there was an awful lot of water that we are missing. Man am I getting antsy to get up there on the water grin.gif

Good Fishing Buddy!

Be sure to bring along the digital cameras! Besides this area being a great early season location the scenery is breathtaking. Be sure to post upon your return to the real world!

Good Fishing!