Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuluthMedic

Engine help?

12 posts in this topic

Ive got an old Evinrude 1986...70 horse. I've had it in the shop 3 times with no luck. It runs fine...just won't idol worth a darn. Last guy who worked on it...just told me, "these old evinrudes just run that way." Can this be fixed? Can anyone recomend anyone in duluth? Thanks

Sounds to me like you need to go to a differant shop!

Definitely sounds like you need a new shop. Have you tried Duanes Outboard yet? He's always been great to me. He is located by Chalstroms off of the Olson Rd.

I have an "87" 70 horse Evinrude and it idles fine, so it is not just and Evinrude thing. I would start with cleaning/rebuilding the carbs. You could also check out iboats.com there is alot of good info there.

Ok..thanks folks...I'll have to take it back in. No way am i going to try and fix the thing myself...i'd be paddling the boat if i did.

I'll second the motion on Duane's Outboard. They are honest and have bailed me out in a crunch. Joe's marine in Ely is another quality outfit, but may be a tad far for you.

I will give a 3rd. I had an old Evinrude 20 and ran like a top. Had a shop in Southern Minnesota give it the once over every 2 years. I have a four stroke now. I kind of miss the old rumble of the 1980 20hp 2 stroke.

you might want to try Gene's marine in cloquet also- great guy and knows his two strokes.

You may want to compression test it first. That's not hard and will eliminate some possible major problems. That engine has been noted to burn the pistons at the exhaust ports. If it scored a piston it mostlikly will not idle.

Adjust the ignition points. Probobaly needs to be re-gapped.

Make sure you are not using ethanol gas. Especially if you have an aluminum tank. We bought a 70 horse Evenrude new in 1987 and took it back to the dealer 3 times in the first few weeks we had it. On the third time they asked us where we buy our gas. We told them and they said that particular gas station sold gas with ethanol. They said they would fix it again but if we run any ethanol in the future it would void the warranty. The mechanic said the ethanol breaks down the aluminum in the gas tank and totally messes up the fuel system when it gets in there. After switching to Ethanol free gas we haven't had a problem since. Ethanol is garbage.

Jiffy....infact it is an aluminum tank..hmmm? I haven't been picky about fuel. I think I'll try new fuel...then if that is a no go...take it in to the fella on the rice lake road. Thanks guys...its a big help...Man it would be nice if it would idle.