• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs Update.

Paul Waldowski

As the opener starts to get closer and closer, I figured I would give everyone an update on what is happening. First off, there is still an ice floe that is out on the main lake and is just being downright stubborn. With the light breeze and the warm temps we have had over the last couple of days it is slowly starting to break up.

The Crappie bite has been sporadic in Isle Bay. For the guys that have found them they have been very good sized. There have been a fair amount of fish in the pound and a 1/4 range with one that was 15 inches and over 2 pounds. As the lake starts to warm up a little more the bite will only improve. Look to the marshy areas and back channels when this happens.

I haven't heard of anyone out fishing perch and with opener just around the corner we have been working some long hours. I'm hoping to be able to sneak out for a little at the beginning of next week and give those crappies a shot.

WE do have a few openings next weekend if anyone wants to come up for the crappies, otherwise we hope to see you on opener.

As of Sunday afternoon the lake is totally ice free. Driving around the lake yesterday and surveying the public accesses one can see that the water levels are down around around 6 inches from where they were last fall. Because of this many fishermen are going to find it difficult to get bigger boats in and out at the Public accesses.

We here at Appeldoorn's have decided that we will be doing valet boat launching opening weekend. This is something that we normally reserve for just our guests, but we are opening it up to Fm'ers for opening weekend only.

There will be a $20 fee for our non registered guests.

For those of you that are not familiar with this process, it is simple, quick and easy. You load up everything in your boat, including all passengers and we back you out into the lake with a tractor or front end loader. When you want to come out, you can call us on a cell phone or Marine band radio and we will have your trailer in the water ready for you to put your boat back on it.

We do have a couple of cabins still open, so come on up and see the Cranker and Paul where you can always get updated information and tips.

Hello Everyone,

Along with Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort, Hunter Winfields, Fishers Resort, and The Red Door are also launching boats. With the water levels down as PW said here in this last post, I would be leary on launching a bigger boats at the public launches.

We are all looking forward to the open water season and everyone gets excited. Here are a few things to remember before heading up here this year.

Make sure your boat is up to date on registration, up to date fishing license, new fishing line, plug for the boat, new spark plugs in the motor, make sure motor runs, life jackets and are the right size for everyone, make sure you boat trailer wheel bearings are greased up, tire pressures are correct, fire extinquisher is up to date, new gas in the tanks, all your batteries are all charged up, live wells working.

Stop at either Johnson Portside or Malmo Market on the east side of the lake for all you bait and tackle.

And above all bring warm clothes! You never know what Mother Nature has in store for us on opening weekend!

Fish On!!!

What are you considering "bigger boats" ?? I have an Alumacraft competitor 185 with a 75 HP tiller. What about the Access just past the Public Access at Malmo. The old "Malmo bay lodge" I believe.

Thanks,

Rodmaker

Cranker,

You forgot to mention raingear! Here's a early look at the forecast from accuweather:

Friday 5/11: 56 high 44 low, Rain

Saturday 5/12: 55 high 50 low, Windy,Rain

Sunday 5/13: 61 high 34 low, Rain

Of course this will probably change 18 times over the course of the next couple weeks...but raingear is always a must for opener on Mille Lacs!

Irishjigs,

Thanx for reminding me about rain gear. Although I am fair weather when its the opener. If its raining there is a whole summer to catch walleyes when its not raining.

The whole purpose was to get people thinking about what not to forget, and here I forgot about rain gear. Thanx Irishjigs!

Fish On!!!

Rodmaker,

You will need your hip boots to launchj your boat up there in Malmo. The water is shallow although the DNR dredged a little bit. The sand just keeps filling in.

I would suggest going to a boat launch that is been dredged very well at any of the private resorts on the east side of the lake.

Fish On!!!

Thanks!!!! I'll check back in the next week or so. Maybe give Agate Bay, Fischer's, or red door a try.

Too bad the garrison marina shut down. They have a great launch there. Its a shame what happened to that place.

What about liberty Beach heard they made that into a public launch. Is it very deep?

I assume that the Wealthwood access is unusable now as it was fairly shallow last summer already?

Even with waders, boats on bunk trailers are going to be tough to unload unless you can get it to float without getting the truck stuck. Where is everyone going to unload? say on the west or north ends? I won't be up for the opener, but I would like to make it up there more often than I have been this coming summer. I like to fish the flats on the north side when I get up there. Now I have a boat that will handle the wind better and won't be able to unload it!

from the sounds of some other posts, red door and fishers are good to go.

regards,

minnesotatuff

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bring this back to the top as it seems many of you are concerned about being able to launch your boat.

Agate bay is good for launching, the access where you pay at malmo is suppose to be good also. Fischer's is good. grin.gif

We have gotten many calls concerning boat launching and the problems with the Public accesses and the level of the water.

Our plan for this weekend is we will launch boats all weekend long and you can leave your truck and trailer in a secure place and you won't have to worry about them.

Stop in and see us and find out just how easy and hassle free boat launching can be.