Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckey

Which is recommended - Lowrance or Eagle

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for a Sonar/plotter with internal GPS.

The two models I've been looking at are:

1. Lowrance LMS-522C iGPS Approx $650

2. Eagle Fishelite 502c iGPS Approx $450

The most significant differences (other than price) appears to be the Lowrance has more pixels and a network connection.

I plan to have this one (probably with Navionics chip) at the boat controls and another sonar only at the bow trolling motor.

Does anyone have experience with either model? Good stuff? Bad stuff?

Thanks,

luckey,

Those both have internal GPS' right? I strongly urge you to look at the external GPS. I have heard that folks have issues keep a strong signal with the internal models when they tilt the head unit.

As for the differences, take a look at the units. You will notice that the Lowrance has much stronger wires and connectors on it. And you are correct about the pixels, etc. Either way they are both great units and you will be pleased either way.

The Eagle is 320v x 240h pixels and the Lowrance is 480v X 480h. The Sonar pics will be ok on the the Eagle but you will probably not be as happy with the GPS display. I do have the Lowrance LMS332c (480 x 480). The Lowrance is more versatile because of the network capabilities. I did all of the research went to the store several times to play with the units and I did notice that the Pixel count mattered the most on the GPS viewing.

One of the advantages of the Lowrance with a network is you can install some sensors and read outputs on your display. I recently installed the Fuel Management sensor which will tell me how much fuel I'm burning per mile or hour and accurately tell me how much total I've burned. An accurate fuel gage on a boat finally!! I run big water and want the accuracy.... My thought.....

I heard that Lowrance owns Eagle, they bought them out a few years ago or something like that and Eagle is the lesser model compared to the Lowrances but same company now.

If you are shelling out cash, go for the 522. It is greatly improved over the 334. Some of the base map lakes have 5' contours without a chip. The chip inhances the detail. The new 522 units have increased screen clarity comparing to last years 334.

Both made by the same company. Whichever one you prefer, its your choice. I like eagles because they are a little less in price.

Thanks for the great replies. I haven't held either one in hand so I can't compare that but I'm thinking there may be better detail with more pixials. I wanted the internal gps antenna so I could use the plotter in winter. I know they have an ice setup.

For $649 you can get a Humminbird 787c2i that has 640 vertical and 480 horizontal pixels. This is a sonar/internal gps unit. With the 777c2, a sonar only unit, I have verified target separation of two 3/8 oz. jigs 3 inches apart in 35 feet of water. The sonar is better than Lowrance's sonar. I believe the gps is Magellan. They only take Navionics chips. I don't know if they have an ice setup. Check it out at the "Worlds Foremost Outfitter".

Luckey,

I turned my 332 with External antenna into an ice unit by using an extra Blue Box and then a Marine Radio antenna holder for the puck. Easy setup, and then makes more sense.

I have a Alumacraft Backtroller that I installed a 522 on. I did not extend the unit up on a ram mount, but kept it down lower on my old Johnny Ray mount. It seems to keep around 30'-40' accuraccy. Not as good as my hand held Garmin, but it seems to work fine. I may consider raising it up a tad with a Ram mount to see if it gets a little more accurate.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the 520?