Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

Eyes are running

6 posts in this topic

Last night my roomie and I went to Burntside River on hwy 88 at about 930pm and we musta counted 100 walleyes in there. there was a crap load of 15-17 inch fish and the biggest were 4-6 pounds. Ive never seen anything like it!

Cool; nice report. Ya gotta love to see that stuff!

I figured somewhere around Ely there was a creek full of walleyes!

I was there last weekend and did a little driving due to rain. I passed over a creek on the East end of Shagawa going to Echo trail and wondered if that was a good place to look. Never did though.

Does that one flow into Shag or out? Did anyone peek in there? I'm still curious.

One year we caught the run coming out of Clearwater to Cedar Lake by Annandale. Like you said, what a sight! cool.gif

The river you're referring to flows out of Shagawa and down to Fall Lake. The walleyes don't come up that far from Fall, but can be viewed at the culverts in Winton.

Lots of neat places to see the spawning run - a guy just has to poke around a little.

Guy from school says the bigger females and more of them are running in the late am hrs of predawn 1-3 am. Does a creek or river give a guy a good idea of what size fish and a rough estimate based on perecentages of how many eyes in what yr class are in a paticular body of water?? Like a majority of the fish I saw were about 2-4 pounds...So is it safe to say that theres a healthy 3-4 yr class in shagawa lake?? confused.gif

I would read the dnr report on the lake and see what it says first. I dont think theres anyway to be positive about the fishes age just by seeing them in a stream and by size. I could be wrong though. I think on average a 4 yr old walleye would be about 13-16 inches long depending on the amount of food available in the lake.