• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slang names & nicknames for fish, gear

Weed Shark

How bout when you set the hook and then lose your fish, you reel up and you "farmed your bait!"

Lisa

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genegodawa

• Weed Shark

• BoxMN

• CrappieAttitude

Quote:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the one true and only the best one liner...............

"BOBBER DOWN"
grin.gif

MR

thats what I have on the license plates on my truck only its spelled BOBRDWN smile.gif

am i the only one who practices LDR?

long distance release cool.gif

A few that we use:

Beer = Porkchop

"Pull" = When Someone is in the cooler and you need another beverage - Usually a Porkchop

"I am spitting class 5 over here!" - Used when the "pull" was unsuccessful - once again usually referring to a porkchop.

Quote:

"I am spitting class 5 over here!"

I may have to steal that one. Should go over well in Dent.

Funny how a post called "Slang Names and Nicknames for fish, gear" has adult beverages classified as equipment.

When cans get tipped high;

"Doctor?"

"Doctor. Doctor?"

"Doctor."

Quote:

"I am spitting class 5 over here!"

You are referring to a category of hazardous material, correct?

Let's just say most of the Class 5 in Hennepin County gets covered by a layer or 2 of MORE hazardous material: Asphalt.

"bank shot" = using the cover of the deathwell like a basketball backboard

"death dance" = the way they flop very fast trying to jump out when they land in the bottom of the boat instead of in the deathwell

"creating new structure" = when something goes overboard, usually someone's baseball cap

"punk fish" = tiny perch

"aquarium fish" = smaller than punk fish, they belong in the kid's aquarium not on the end of my line. (see also: "little bandit")

Here are a few that I've heard from a buddy who used to live in Louisiana...

White Drum/Sheephead are: Goo's or Gabber Goo's

Fish that don't bite "good enough" to get hooked are: Turd Tappers

Small Mud Cats are: Pollywauds

I know there are others, just can't think of them right now...

When I am catching alot more fish than my fishing buddy. "putting on a clinic"

Eelpout: Fugly Fish

Frozen minnows on the ice: Eagle Pickles

A walleye in the slot: Dinner

Class 5 is refering to gravel. Most gravel roads and driveways are covered with class 5 gravel.

Quote:

Class 5 is refering to gravel. Most gravel roads and driveways are covered with class 5 gravel.

Thanks, McGurk helped me with that, too. I knew that...remind me to think a little harder before I speak...How do I take a response back after hitting the submit button, anyway?

I have enjoyed this thread...filed some stuff in the memory banks...had some good laughs. I taught some (...not all!) to my kids and heard a couple in the boat Sunday. Does a "Curt Gowdy" work, if your wife catches a big Bullhead? Thats right, you guys dream of this kind of "structure"! We've only scratched the surface. I'd like to hear more from the Great Lakes, stream trout, or ocean fishing...types of fishing I do less of.

"Loopers": Kamloop Rainbows

"Silver": Coho Salmon

"King": Chinook Salmon

"Coaster": A type of Steelhead

"Barn Door": A large Halibut

"Swingggg and a Miss": Didn't hook the fish.

"Close the Deal": Catch that fish

"Mine Field": Dangerous, boulder abundant area of the lake

well this isnt a slang name or a nickname, but it is pretty funny if you happen to be fishing with someone elses kid. as the kids starts to head off toward the bathroom, pipe up loud and clear to make sure his dad can hear and say "Remember, we ain't got time to wipe!".

"Thin them out" = keeping little ones for the good of the rest of the lake's population

"Hell of a spot" = a spot that looks so good there has to be some nice ones there and it has actually produced some nice ones in the past on just about every time you fish that spot

"you're working on our limit now" = often said to your boat partner who is the only one catching them

I've heard Northerns called Slough Sharks and Carp called Minnetonka Muskies. Last summer, we were fishing the Red River for cats and while fishing for Gold Eyes for cat bait, I let a young girl use an extra rod to catch a few too. When she caught one, she yelled," hey dad, I caught a Cutbait." That was their name for Goldeyes.

I've heard both Carp and Eelpout called Lawyers because they are slimey bottom feeders.

When my boys were young, we were catching Crappies and one of them caught a Bullhead. I told them that it looked like my Uncle Herman, who I never liked much. After that, Bullheads were called Uncle Hermans.

my kids now refer to someone not catching anything a Schleprock: If you catch where this came from you watch too amny cartoons

Largemouth bass

Bass, hawg, lunker, larry, toad, pig, mule, horse, cow, green carp, scum trout, good fighter, fatty, nice jumper..

Smallmouth

Bass, smallie, brown bass, sallie, hawg, mule, jumper, river bass, fighter

crappie

Speck, speckled perch, papermouth, slab, slabber, slabosaurus, weakfish, eater, panfish, dinner, croppodile

bluegill

Gill, sunnie, sunfish, bull, digger, panny, nibbler, brim, eater, fighter, tastey

Pike

Northern, line cutter, gator, slimedog, snot rocket, log, lunker, water wolf, ol toothy, hammer handle, reptile, snake, python, slimedevil, lure stealer

walleye

walleyed pike, wally, wallygator, bottom fish, marbleeyes, reef perch, fussy, finicky, lockjawed, hawg, pig, eater, cigar, slot fish, dinner

drum

sheepshead, lavender bass, junkfish

grin.gif

This reminds me of many terms that have once been used and some that still are..usually used by myself and a fishing buddy who now lives in South Carolina...too bad. Alot of these are inside jokes...I'll try expain the best I can.

muskie: myusk-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

perch of keeper size: "yup...'nother jumbo for me!!" imitation of the ole man.

sheephead: "Buenos dias, Sheepheads" (a vague Young Guns reference. Although in the movies...they dont exactly say sheephead....it does start with sh though)

boat: Bow-at

When you have to relieve your self: "boys and girls do you know what time it is? Iiiiiiiiit's pee pee time!!" Usually followed by boysterous laughter.

when you lose a fish: "ah nuts...that was a new record!" followed up by the other saying, "Might as well be."

when you make the perfect cast, "REWARDS....REWARDS!!!!" Usually not getting any.

When you catch a fish on the first cast, "Crap!! There goes the rest of the trip!" why is it when that happens its usually also the last fish?

pike: spickerels

The Spickerel King, my buddy who there was a single spickerel released into a huge lake..he would catch it.

The prop: A bucktail with a huge blade

Bottom Bass: a snag

First, Biggest, Most, Species: to the winner go the spoils of each catagory.

I'm sure I'll think of more...keep it going boys.

"Spotty Boy" - a young channel cat with spots. My brother has been using that one for years.

"Chicago Walleye" - I think Dan Gapen uses that for Redhorse and other roughfish.

"Cookie Cutter" - another small fish the same size as the last bunch.

This is sort of related; When one person is catching everything and the other can’t seem to get a break, snags, bobber tangles, reel tangles, and is being severely out fished. The other angler casually throws out this line (It’s important not to make eye contact at first), “Wanna tip???” They will either get a look or response that clearly indicates not to push it, or they better have a good tip ready. This is used excessively during long trips with the same fishing partners and is only truly effective when an uncomfortable silence has settled in.

Fishing in 'lovely' Downtown Pittsburgh...

Walleye - What the h... did I catch?

Bass - What the h... did I catch?

Northern - What the h... did I catch?

Carp - Wow, nice fish! Can I eat it?

• 1 month later...

Skippy - small Walleye hooked that comes to the surface for his trip to my boat.

Pinefish - in the northland it is a sunken tree or branch which you have luckly hooked

Ahhh yes, some of the nicknames bring back memories... I was going to say the Lawyer one when talking of eelpout, but it was used, so I'm heading in 2 different directions... shocked.gif

First off, the line was "I'll have an orange whip." (Then, pointing at his table companions) "Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips"... John Candy in the Blues Brothers... no idea where the Slap Shot reference came in, (I remember them puttin on the foil, though) it's definitely the Blues Brothers... cool.gif

Then... How about equipment/techniques or just plain old 'splainin' what you were doing??

I mean, if you're "burnin' a spinnerbait over some cabbage and a bucketmouth blows up on it... " grin.gif

or "riggin' on the flats"... laugh.gif

maybe you've "dragged a crank past the grass"

or "walked the dog when a big Slimer nailed it"

or you were "wacky rigging Senkos and the Smallies were hammering it all day"

and a newer favorite... "drop shotting with my deadstick" (Ice fishing there... )

Does ANYONE that isn't a fisherman have a clue as to what the heck you just said??

You gotta love a sport that has a language all it's own! grin.gifcool.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

drum= bopeep, sheepie, crawler fouler

crappie= craappie, white perch, speckled perch, paper mouth and a new favorite Rosie(O'donnel=big mouth)can also be used for bass.

When a problem arises within the boat ala Seinfeld we say, "Neuman!"

Quick/short striking fish that you hook up on and lose = "Bit-n-bender." Can also be used as a substitute swear word!

A solid hook up on a larger fish "This ain't no Crappie!"

Cooler=Loveshack baby, when in need of a beer=show me some love.

running heavy 3 ways= draggin balls, downrigging=sifting water and or dragging balls, planer boards=running boards, surfing, dragging flags

livebait=meat heavy hookset=hogtied, GPS challenged=doesn't compute, doesn't have his chips in a row, espixiated, light in the saddle. Missed hookset= flail mower. Good hookset=grippin and rippin, setting hooks and rippin lips, catfish=kitty, spilled catfish stink bait= kitty litter Styrofoam minnow bucket=minnow motel, a nice bunch of eaters= paperweights and oh, so many more. Keep them coming! Great thread!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Largemouth: Larry

Northern: Shuckies or shuck-Dog

Walleye: Waldorf, wall-dog, marble eyes

Crappie: The Elusive Paper Mouth

"At least we don't have to clean any fish!"

When your cast makes a huge splash or plop when you want a quiet one, say "Silent, yet subtle."

The jig is up.

Is it a fish? Or is it a weed?