Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DancesWithWaves

Whitefish and Arrowhead lakes

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any of you fisherpeople have tried the whitefish chain this time of year, specifically whitefish and a smaller lake called Arrowhead. I was wondering if Arrowhead is accessable this time of year with the low water? Is the crappie fishing worth it? any info will help.

Hi Arrowhead is always accessible but it takes a little work to find the crappies and the sunnies are good most of the time. The lake has very little structure and 10 feeet deep so it is hard to target 1 spot but the edges are the best places to try

The lake itself is mainly just a swamp...I caught a bass out of it once. I've shot more ducks out there than caught fish. It might be ok this time of year, but have never been there before the mid of June. You might have luck on the main lake, or in arrowhead bay. I know you can get some walleyes around there early season, and snouts all year round. You might try some of the smaller connecting lakes?

Don't really know, never tried it for crappies.

Heard some good things in the past on Hay lake, right next door.

Good Luck.

I have caught a few at my [not really mine] cabin near the mouth of the river off the dock and through out the bay by the access. The sunfish should be pretty easy to find, but the crappies are more difficult. Last year I didn't get any crappies, but the year befor it was one after another off the dock. This was the week befor walleye opener.

Also, I figured Arrowhead would have warmest water and be good this time of year. I tried it and got nothing. The fish were in cooler water in Whitefish.

Good Luck and be careful at that ramp crazy.gif with the low water.

Never fishes these lakes before, but I can tell you to look to the north edge of the lake. Look for turtles in the shallows, they will be in the warmest spots. Usally crappies are not to far from there.

Went out and gave it a try with my friend on saturday. It was slow. We started out going to Arrowhead where we managed 4 bass and no crappies. Then after a bit of exploring on whitefish we tried some bays and only managed a couple crappies. When we were leaving there was 5 boats sitting out in front of the landing, but we didnt bother. However we did hit the night-bite on pelican and caught about a dozen crappie. Check of those lakes from my list.