• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

maxima vs.gamma

slick2526

so im looking to spool my new rod with some 8lb of either.

So what makes this gama so much better than maxima? I have been using maxima for sometime. I see so many people are crazed about this gamma.

Does it lay on the spool well?

Does it cast well?

Also do the knots hold up well?

Yes to all, and it is stronger than anything I have ever used, in the mono lines. I have straightened out jig hooks on snags using 8# Gamma while fishing the river.

Yep to all of your questions. I Pro Staff Gamma line and at the Duluth show I was using 10# Maxima VS 8# Gamma in break tests and the Gamma shows stronger. Try it out yourself. This line is awesome. It is much more supple, and pays off the reel very smoothly.

You will like Gamma line, hands down.

Doug

I'm more one to say, try it... Buy one spool of it and try it on one of your rods. That is what I did. 2 years ago.. I had it on one rod. Last year I had Gamma on all my rods except those that I had braid on(I only have braid on 2 rods).

I second what every one else mentioned. I'll take it one further. Were I usually use 6lb for my walleye rods I have now put on 4lb. Gamma by far is a stronger line then what the poundage says and by going one step down I gained more sensativity and better castability. I highly recommend it over any other mono period.

There is a couple tests out there but the one I like is taking two wooden dowels and just rap around each dowel and pull with gamma and see how far it takes till it breaks. Then do the same with a competative brand and see how you do. Make sure you do NOT tie a knot just rap around the dowel. This way you can't say it was the knot that broke the line or is the weakest spot. You will be surprised.

mr

Does Gamma have the same diameter as maxima for most poundages?? One thicker thatn the other?

Just did a little search on the net.. Line Diam...

Gamma 6lb .010 Max 6lb .009

Gamma 8lb .011 Max 8lb .010

Gamma 10 .012 Max 10 .012

Gamma 12 .013 Max 12 .013

So, they are comparable in my opinion..

Thanks dietz,

awesome stats; and you're not kidding about that 8 vs. 10 strength test? I have fallin in love w/ maxima since I first got it down on the white river for trout. Have held out for so long... I may need to replace a spool of max for gamma. Any thing that you would say maxima preforms better at? Is there similisr stretch qualities in these lines?

Quote:

Is Gamma a mono line? Where to purchase?

Well, technically Gamma is a co-polimer. Which is most similar to a monofilament. Its not a florocarbon line, and its not a braid either... Its a Co-poly. But then again, I think the maxima is also a co-poly. As for where to buy?... I have seen it at a lot of major stores.. Cabelas has it for sure, I have also seen it in Gander and Was just at Frankies and they also had it.

Quote:

Thanks dietz,

awesome stats; and you're not kidding about that 8 vs. 10 strength test? I have fallin in love w/ maxima since I first got it down on the white river for trout. Have held out for so long... I may need to replace a spool of max for gamma. Any thing that you would say maxima preforms better at? Is there similisr stretch qualities in these lines?

I wasn't the one who stated that they tested it 8 vs 10lb... I will be honest with you. Maxima makes a great fishing line. No doubt!! And some people like a fishing line for different reasons than someone else. Some people choose a line for its cost... some like a line that is strong... some like a line that is limp... some like a line that casts well... I was a die hard P-Line fan.. loved it for its strength. ULTRA strong line, but not very limp. I feel I get the strength I had with P-Line, but much limper and casts better with my Gamma...

Which is why I say... buy 1 spool... test it for yourself, and make your own opinion on Gamma. For me, its the best I have found yet.

Youngie-

I stated the comparisons with #10 VS #8. I also will be honest. You can compare it yourself. I have tested several lines VS Gamma in different #test. In nearly all applications I have dropped one to two #test classes for various applications. I used to use Trilene XL, and I still think that it is a good line, however, I just have determined for me that Gamma is a superior product when using either mono or Flouro applications. Braid is another deal, in which I do prefer Power Pro. Tried Stren superbraid, fireline, and a host of others but am most confient in Power Pro.

You will have to determine which line you feel is the best for you. When recomending any product personally, I have to feel completely confident in it. I don't Pro Staff for any product that I don't believe is a great product, and will live up to its claims of performance. I will always be honest, and stand behind anything I recommend.

Doug