• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am in the market for a new central air unit.

Sonicrunch

Question

My old one is dying. I had the first estimate guy out last night. I'll get a few more estimates and then pick one to go with.

So I was wondering if anyone in here had some advice to share. Like shady things (salesman tricks) to watch out for, brands you like or dislike, setups etc.

(I got a new furnace two years ago, so no need for a combo replacement.)

Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

R-22 will blow "colder" air usually compared to the newer more efficient 410-A. Is your line set (refridgerant lines) replaceable, or are they in finished wall or ceiling? Make sure the unit is sized right by sales person, ask about fed. tax credits, and energy company rebates. Get a good vaccuum pulled in lines before refirgerant is added, and get pressures right this will make it run as efficient as possible for a long time. I favor Trane products. Good name, good product, easy installation.

My line set is replaceable. They told me I have to have new lines installed.(bigger lines)

Good, You should be in good shape then. Get a good vac pulled (minumum of 500 microns) and get the accurate pressures and you'll be in good shape. Save that copper almost $3 per pound. Good Luck

I just had a new unit installed by Standard heating. It is a Bryant. It was about $2000.

I have worked with a company both at home and they did our installation at our commercial building at work. They did an awesome job! I would recommend checking out names of companies on Angies List.

I would check the price on a heat pump, it is reversable in the summer and becomes a air conditioner. It is reversed by selecting either heat or cool on the thermostat.WE have had a unit like this for 15 years, we replaced it last year because the newer units are way more efficent to operate. The heat part operates till the temp. gets to 5 below o outside, then the furnace takes over. Just my thoughts. wink.gif

OK, so I just had Centerpoint Energy out for a quote.

This guys tells me he does NOT recommend replacing the lines due to the fact that they cannot attach them securely. (The other guy would have just pushed them through and left them resting on the joists).

He recommended staying with R-22 and using the old lines. What do you guys think of that?

BTW, the heat pump is something I will do when I build a home. I love it, but I have a 1/10th of an acre, in which half is under a city easment for storm sewer.

Resting the lines on the joists will work just fine. Probably just Centerpoints way of doing things. Are you upsizing your A/C unit? If you can use the old lines it would save you some money on the install, but otherwise just have them pull new ones. Different companies use different brands of A/C units. Someone might offer a unit in the size your looking for that can reuse the old line sizes. On the other hand having a new A/C condenser, new furnace, and new lineset would be peace of mind.

I would get new lines put in, but it is hard to say. You can clean lines out and get filter dryers on line set, but they will need to be cut out and new vacuum will need to be pulled on lines. How much will not be secured and hanging ing finished wall or ceiling? Do lines go straight out or run down wall before going out? Get a warranty on the work, hold them accountable if they did it wrong. On the heat pump issue though, they look and and like a regular a/c that you are buying just have a reversing valve to make the refridgerant do the opposite job as before. May be a good option, kind of depends on fuel costs to heat your home vs. elec. a good sales personsshould be able to show you weather it is beneficial and how long it will take for it to pay off.

Since you have a furnace, the heat pump might make you eligible for a dual fuel or somoe other discounted electric rate. I was just talking to a guy at work who has this setup and he is real happy, since the furnace runs on propane which has gotten a little expensive lately. His electric rate is like half of the regular rate.

an air to air heat pump isnt very practical here...below 30 deg's they dont do squat...Id stick with a unit w/ r-22...installed properly should give you years of troublefree service...dont buy the cheapest and at the same time dont need the most expensive...

Pulling a deep vaccum say 500 microns or below and the rest of it should be standard procedure for any installer, especially on a 410a unit, they are more susceptible to moisture than that a r-22 system. centerpoint probly stands behind what they sell better than anyone else ive seen round here, and prices are competitive...the higher the SEER rating the more efficient. From what ive heard there isnt gonna be a ton of money in rebates this year if you stay with a more well known unit like carrier/rheem etc you should be in good shape