Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigsandyguy

Night fishing on the Croix

8 posts in this topic

I was thinking of launching late Sat on the croix and fishing into the night to avoid the crowds. How's the walleye bite after dark? I've fished it a lot, but only a few times after dark, with limited success.

Any help would be appreciated!

It is not very good. There is a feeding frenzy around 8:19 am, and 2:14 in the afternoon.

I don't really night fish but I do early morning fish, starting around 4 am every weekend, I love it and many mornings the fish are active while its still dark, heck some mornings I've had my limit before the sun even came up, plus its quiet!

What part of the croix are you fishing "bigsandyguy"??

I have only shore fished at night and have had limited success from the saint croix riviera association access. Mostly catchin sheap head. I have caught a few small 'eyes.

Run silent. Run shallow. And I mean shallow. The key to getting on night eyes is to cast a topwater at shore rocks, even hitting the rocks with your lure. If you make even a little noise, you will most likely ruin your chances. There is a big misconception about night fishing the river that they "turn off". They merely move.

Certainly the night bite is ok on the river. It is much better and easier during high water periods. This spring would hardly count as a high water period. I agree that the key is to be extremely quiet and fish shallow. I have also, however, found fish in high current areas and current seams just as you would find them in the early morning and evening hours. You have to fish very slowly and glow hooks/jigs work great. It will take you a few trips to get this bite to work for you. I have founds some larger fish by fishing after dark.

Wall1 - I am guessing you stay south of Afton and the Kinni areas. I am normally on the water by 5:00 on Saturday mornings also. I fish from Hudson to Prescott. Look me up if I happen to troll by in the early morning. I drive a white Alumacraft TP 175. I love the mornings on the Croix!

Quote:

Run silent. Run shallow. And I mean shallow. The key to getting on night eyes is to cast a topwater at shore rocks, even hitting the rocks with your lure. If you make even a little noise, you will most likely ruin your chances. There is a big misconception about night fishing the river that they "turn off". They merely move.

SSSSShhhhhh...topwater fishing for walleye's is a very special technique.