• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing canadian waters

I am staying at Island View Lodge from may25-june2nd and i have been reading notes on the forum about fishing in the canadain waters are better for walleyes. So i guess my question is what will i need to get as far a licences to fish in the canadain waters. Now would anyone know if i have to have a passport with me to fish in the waters also?

The second part of my question is, by going this weekend is it a good choice for fishing? or will i be too early for the spawning for walleyes? I am haoping for one of the best walleye fishing trip since going to Lac Des Mille Lacs in Ontario a few years back. SO any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Matt

The walleyes will have already spawned out by then, but the fishing is usually great for walleye during that time. I will be there the same week, and it seems the walleye are up shallow sometimes and during mid day trolling in 25 - 27 feet of water is the ticket. We catch our biggest walleye throwing jerk baits for smallmout, but numbers seem to come from deeper trolling.

from what I have read, you will not need a passport to fish the Canadian side yet.... You will need a Canadian liscense though. I'll be at the Island View that week too. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you on the water.

HI JUST,

IF YOU ARE GOING BY WATER, YOU NEED A BORDER WATER CROSSING PERMIT FOR EACH PERSON IN THE BOAT, DAD...MOM...& KIDS UNDER SAME PERMIT. THE PERMITS ARE 30 CANADIAN. THEN YOU NEED A CANADIAN LICENSE, WHICH IS ABOUT 35 CANADIAN FOR A CONSERVATION LICENSE FOR A YEAR, 65 CAND. FOR A FULL LICENSE AND ABOUT 27 CANADIAN FOR A 7 DAY. YOU MAY ONLY TAKE 1(ONE) WALLEYE PER DAY, PER LICENSE ON THE CANADIAN SIDE OF RAINY, NO MATTER WHICH LICENSE YOU HAVE., AND I WOULD CHOOSE THE AMERICAN SIDE OF RAINY OVER THE CANADIAN SIDE, FOR WALLEYES...15 YEARS AGO, I WOULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT.

YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT, BUT STILL SUPPOSE TO HAVE A I-68 PERMIT TO ENTER BACK INTO U.S. WATER OR WHEN YOU RE-ENTER STOP AT A BOOTH & CALL IN.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I believe the grass is greener theory sometimes does ring true, but make no mistake about it if you decide you want to actually keep a few walleyes for a meal while not jumping through all the hoops and burning of gas the American waters are prime for tremendous walleye fishing right now. Either way Good Fishing!

This will be my first time fishing on rainy lake. We gotta boat for the week, a cabin to sleep in and a keg on order for relaxing. I work for a bank and getting far away from the cities and having some beers during the night when we all unwind is in order for the week.

All i really want from the Rainy trip is to be catching walleyes, a few for a meal one night and maybe some to bring home for a future meal with the family but i just dont want to get out there and find myself not on fish all week. So any information provided to me is greatly appreciated. What about a good map, any ideas where i can get that at.

Also i am thinking about a few ways to catch the walleyes, do most of you lindy/spinner rig with minnows, Jig fireballs, or shad rap more at the end of may early june? If you have some spots that you want to share and dont want the world to know them you can email them to me at [email protected].

-matt

HI J.L.F.,

IF YOU ARE COMING TO RAINY FOR THE 1ST TIME, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU HIRE A GUIDE FOR THE 1ST DAY., YEA THAT ADDS TO YOUR EXPENSE, BUT COULD HELP YOU UNDERSTAND RAINY WHERE TO FISH, HOW TO FISH IT. SOME FOLKS THINK BECAUSE RAINY IS A WORLD CLASS WALLEYE FISHERY, THEIR GOING TO COME UP HERE & JUST POUND THE FISH, NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. I HAVE TALKED TO NUMEROUS PEOPLE WHO FISHED HERE A WEEK & NEVER CAUGHT A SINGLE WALLEYE. RAINY IS A COMPLEX FISHERY, WHERE YOU CATCH FISH 1 YEAR, YOU MAY NOT CATCH THEM THE NEXT YEAR, THE FISH MOVE FROM 1 DAY TO THE NEXT, SO YOU MAY HAVE TO TRY MULTIPLE SPOTS., THAT IS WHERE A GUIDE WILL HELP YOU. YOU SAID YOUR GETTING A BOAT FOR A WEEK WITH THE CABIN, WELL I WOULD MAKE SURE I HAD A GOOD PORTABLE GRAPH, A 100 FOOT ANCHOR ROPE, AND A GOOD HEAVY CLAW ANCHOR, A ELECTRIC MOTOR/BATTERY, NOAA MAPS OF THE AREA YOUR FISHING(AVAILABLE AT LOCAL BAIT SHOPS). LAST YEAR WE WERE FISHING A REEF, AND A SMALL BOAT PULLS UP ABOUT 50 YARDS FROM US & STARTS FISHING. FISHING WAS AWESOME, BUT THESE GUYS AFTER FISHING FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS ARE GETTING FRUSTRATED, AS THEY HAD NOT CAUGHT A SINGLE FISH., 1 GUY YELLS TO US, WHAT ARE YOU GUYS USING, I SAID DO YOU HAVE GRAPH IN THAT BOAT, HE SAID NO THIS BOAT IS THE BOAT WE GOT WITH HOUSEBOAT & CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T SUPPLY US WITH A GRAPH. "WELL...DUH...& HERES YOUR SIGN", I SAID I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE HOUSEBOATS SUPPLYING A GRAPH, UNLESS YOU RENT IT. ANYWAY, I TOLD THEM YOUR NOT CATCHING FISH, CAUSE YOU ANCHORED IN 75 FEET OF WATER, AND THE FISH ARE ON A BREAKLINE THAT GOES FROM 30 TO 40 FEET. IF YOU HAVE FOLKS IN YOUR BOAT WHO ARE NOT EXPERIENCED FISHERMAN, THE ONLY WAY I WOULD FISH THAT TIME OF THE YEAR IS ANCHORING, WHEN PEOPLE ARE FISHING VERTICAL, THEY CAN FEEL THE BITES ALOT BETTER., I WOULD BE FISHING JIGS & MINNOWS OR SHORT LEADER LINDY RIGS OR IF CALM, SLIP BOBBERS. THESE ARE MY SUGGESTIONS, HOPE THIS HELPS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fishmiester...

I agree with your advice. Do you have any guide recommendations?

Thanks

HI EYE GUY,

BILLY DOUGHERTY, WOODY, RAINY DAZE, KEVIN ERICKSON, THERE ARE ALOT, BUT A FEW OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. NEED PHONE #'S?

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

during the time that i am up there what colors are hot colors on rainy. Color Shad raps? Color Fireballs? color spinners for Lindy rigs? if anyone knows which colors work the best i would like to know.

Perch pattern raps, hammered gold spinners, nearly any color jigs - glow white, green, chartreuse, gold, or multi-colored.

That would be great. I've got Woody's info, but don't know much about the other three. Thanks for the info!

HI J.L.F.,

I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT COLOR FISHING WALLEYES, I WOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT LOCATION. 2 OF THE BETTER WALLEYE FISHERMAN ON RAINY, ONE USES UNPAINTED REGULAR ROUND HEAD REGULAR SHANK LEAD HEADS, THE OTHER USES LINDY RIGS # 6 HOOK WITH NO COLOR., THEIR MAIN CONCERN IS LOCATION, FISH WHERE THERE ARE FISH., BACK TO A GOOD GRAPH, A GOOD ANCHOR, A 100 FOOT ROPE, A GOOD TROLLING MOTOR & BATTERIES...SO FORGET COLOR & WORRY MORE ABOUT WHERE ARE THE FISH.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I'll second FM's response! Rainy is a vast fishery with lots of good looking structure. Your biggest obstacle will be effectively eliminating structure which isn't holding active fish. Most good fisherman I've ever fished with do one thing in common when fishing big water, and that is to read there graph like a book. They comb structure in search of baitfish and gamefish. If the fish aren't there it makes no difference if your flipping a vibrating, heatseaking, glowing, scented, anything. Trust me if you come across an active school of fish you will likely have many of options. I'd also like to add that once you do locate your fish make mental notes of what type of structure, depth, bottom... that is your catching these fish on. Duplicate this pattern when your favorite little honey hole is holding more fisherman than fish. Not only is it very rewarding, but vital to making you become a better fisherman. Most all anglers are able to catch fish when they are under the boat, but a select few are good at the locating part of the game. Good Fishing Guys! For the record I've always been more concerned with the old guy carrying a handful of hand tied jigs than the guy with 14 tackle boxes. Trust me that old guy catches fish!

so if i was driving around in the boat and see a few people fishing a certain location you are saying it would be a good idea to stop and give it a shot for a little bit.

Can i find a rainy lake map (hot spots) at the bait shop in International falls?

From Island Veiw Lodge where i am staying should i be planning on making long boat rides to good fishing spots or are there shots close? Also i kinda thought about trying to get a line wet in the rainy river. good idea?

No I'm not exactly saying that if you were referring to my post. Seems often times when there are boats congregated the bite probably is over, or there are a bunch of people thinking someone else must know what he/she is doing. Yes there is a hot spots map in which you can pick up at the One Stop Shop. Black Bay is close by, and that will be a great starting point for you. I don't know about you, but I personnaly feel one of the great things about fishing up here is to get away from the crowds, and this fishery will allow you that luxury.

well thanks to all that have replied to my questions. I will be tying up a few gold spinners along with getting my fishing poles relined. I hope that we have some good weather while we are up there. If anyone has any reports from opener let me know what the walleyes are bitting on and how deep they are. Good luck to all lucky enough to go fishing this weekend for opener. Keep me posted!!!!!