• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any lefties out there?

CrappieAttitude

This is a question for all you leftys out there. I am looking at adding yet one more hobby to my very lengthy list. My only problem is while looking at bows, I find that there never seems to be a wide variety of left handed bows for a guy to handle. I am curious as to what bows you decided on and what places carry a variety.

CA

Righty here, but shoot lefty!!! THe last bow I bought was at the Compound DR... I would give Cabin Feaver a shot first!!! Call ahead and see what places have what in stock left handed and be sure they have something in your draw length.

I shoot a Hoyt Ultra Tec

Another righty here who shoots lefty. Thanks for the tips, Dietz. I'll have to check them out.

Bwana Archery in Little Canada will have a decent stock of left handed bows. If for some reason they don't have it in stock, they can get it for you if a left handed model is available in the model you are considering.

I've had good experiences there through the years. Sharon, John Jr, Andy, and John Sr are all good and know their stuff well.

Steve

I'm also righthanded but shoot lefthanded, I may be able to help you out. send me an email.

I'm also righthanded but shoot lefthanded, when i got my bow way back in 87 the only bow i could find was a bear whitetail. now there are so many bows out there it is hard to make a decision. the best thing to do is handle as many as you can and get get input from the guy's at the shops.

i am still looking for a new bow. it will be hard for me to get used to something else the one i have is like an extension of my arm now, but having a faster arrow would be nice.

Was just in Cabin Fever the other day and they have a fair number of LH bows so you might want to try there. cool.gif

I thought I was the only one who was a freak who was right handed and shot left. It's nice to see there are a few of us out there. I am also looking at buying a bow this year.

I'm a lefty and I ran into the same problem. No one down here had the 4 bows (Drenaline, Switchback XT, Bowtech, and Parker Frontier) I wanted to compare. I called Archery World in St. Cloud and they had them all in LH. I drove up there and shot them all. If you're up for a road trip try them.

Thanks for the input thus far. Where is Cabin Fever located?

Sturg...Which one of those four did you go with.

Another question is I am 6'4" and wanted to know what the general rule of thumb is for determining what length of bow you would want to go with.

CA

Uh,oh. CA going to chase bambi this fall? If you take that step let me know and I might be able to squeeze you into my honey hole!? As long as I still have permission of course.

mr grin.gif

CA- Height has someto do with it.. but more arm length... get to a proshop and they will fit you.. I am 6-3 and have a 31.5" draw...

I'm not sure why no one mentioned Cabelas? I bought my PSE Primos Edition there a few years back and I remember they had at least on lefty for most styles......oh ya, righty who shoots lefty grin.gif

A general rule for draw length is wingspan divided by 2.5. In my case that is 79/2.5 = 31.6 inch draw.

I had a hard time finding many lefty bows with a 31.5 inch draw length.

Cabin fever is in Victoria. I would call around to the pro shops in your area and try to shoot a bunch of bows before you buy one.

I was looking at this post partly out of curiousity & partly because my son is lefthanded, but now I'm curious. Why are there so many of you righties that shoot your bow left handed? Is it an eye dominance thing just like a firearm or what?

Quote:

Is it an eye dominance thing just like a firearm or what?

Yup!, its all about the eye dominance. When I shoot, I do my best to shoot both eyes open so that you have a better depth perception. cant be doen if you do not have your dominant eye looking through the peep.

I shoot rifle right handed not an eye dominance thing for me, just some thing's

feel more comfortable left handed.

I play hockey left handed also, but golf right handed.

Hard for me personally to grasp, as I'm so right handed if I was anymore so my left might fall off from lack of use... It's my phone hand, that's about it.

My son is just about that left handed to probably will shoot bow lefthanded if he ever takes an interest, he's only 9, so there's time. With guitar he's playing right handed, there's really no eye dominance thing there & we were encouraged to do that, because that way he'll be able to pick up any guitar & play as opposed to always needing a special one. It doesn't seem to have been any issue for him whatsoever, but that's considerably different than shooting.

Another plus about shooting lefty is when you are hunting in a blind with a right hand person.

Just when one shooter is running out of swing, the other is just getting started. You can cover 180 degrees very well.

It's eye-dominance for me as well. I started shooting with both eyes open and you have to have your dominant eye through the peep, like mentioned above.