• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Island

How is Pike Island in Snelling State Park for fishing? Can you catch smallmouth there?

Thanks

YES!

The area directly across from Watergate marina is real good. There is only little rock pile on the up river side and the shoreline has a deeper drop just below that. The water is a little high for a good smallie bit there now, but from mid May-Sept it is real good.

Thanks for the info Dave. I will have to check it out!

How do you get down to that area to fish? I have just start to shore fish the river and currently I am spending all my time down at the Minnehaha Creek area. I would love to branch out a little bit though.

Any info is much appreciated.

Pike Island can be reached via a foot bridge after a short trek from the parking lot at Fort Snelling State Park. This is the lot nearest the Interpretive Center. It's about 1/4 mile to the bridge and another 3/4 mile to the Watergate Marina area. Don't forget your state park sticker!

Quote:

Don't forget your state park sticker

I always get the yearly pass.

HAHAHAHA! Good one,Dave B.

Now try this for fun.

Go to Google Maps

Click Get Directions

Type New York in the first box,and London in the second

Click Get Directions

Read step #24 grin.gif

Quote:

Park at Crosby Farm by Watergate and swim across.

I'll make sure to bring my arm floaties just in case. If the current is moving fast enough I might even put on two sets.

With the current now, put in at Hidden Falls and you will be at Pike Island by the time you get across.

i've only been biking through this area but always thought the fishing looked good down there. is it generally pretty safe? i usually only fish after work (5 p.m. till 8 or so)