• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AKC Pointing Dog Hunt Test Pictorial

gspman

I had the pleasure last weekend of attending the spring GSPCMN hunt test. I ran Dixie in the Jr. Hunter tests which is basically a natural ability test.

This was the first hunt test for me. It was a fun and very enjoyable time. I saw many breeds of dog including some rare breeds. GSP's, GWP's, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, English Setters, Irish Red and White Setters, Italian Spinone, Brittanies, English Pointers, Gordon Setters, and Weimaraners. I'd encourage anyone thinking about trying hunt tests and/or folks looking for a new dog to go to one. There's lots of friendly folks to meet and talk to that like talking dogs. Plenty of folks that train professionally were there. It's a great opportunity for anyone who wants to see and learn more about the dogs. There's at least 4-5 hunt tests remaining in MN this spring and I'd encourage folks to get out there and see what it's all about.

Here's some pics...

Main camp

IMG_1154.jpg

Breakaway...

IMG_1153.jpg

Handler and judge...

IMG_1170.jpg

Hunt test judges on horseback...

IMG_1166.jpg

Dog on point...

IMG_1181.jpg

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

IMG_1184.jpg

GWP

IMG_1162.jpg

Vizsla

IMG_1164.jpg

Nice looking Weimy...

IMG_1172.jpg

Pointer

IMG_1174.jpg

Brittany

IMG_1178.jpg

Gotta have a puppy pic smile.gif...

IMG_1176.jpg

Dog with ribbon

IMG_1186.jpg

Great pictures, I assume the gsp is yours. Did she get her Jr. certification? I'm also wondering why the pointer was there? All most all hunting pointers are FDSB not AKC. Most that are, are more of a showring breeding than a hunting dog stock. Anyways looks like it was a fun time. I've heard once you do it your hooked. I wish I had more time for another hobby I'd sure try something like this.

CW

Hey Gspman, Is there a schedule posted somewhere for these. I recently purchased a Britt, and would at least like to come out a watch if that is possible? Thanks.

cw642,

The dog with the ribbon is mine. She is not certified yet but has 2 legs to go. She'll get that easily. She's not really a Jr. Hunter dog but she doesn't have the training to do Sr. so I started in Jr. If I can swing it I'll try to train her up to Sr. and try that this fall.

The pointer is out of Elhew stuff and built completely for hunting. There's no show stuff in that dog. I'm guessing it's dual registered. I didn't walk it's brace other than to watch the breakaway. It seemed like it ran decent but I didn't see it work a bird. It was a great time and if I had the $$$ and time I'd do both hunt tests and field trials.

jigging-matt,

email me at clark ddddooottt koenen aaatttt hotmail dddooottt com and I'll get you some info. You can walk the Jr. braces and the way I understand it you can walk the Sr. and Master braces until they get to the bird field. I'd encourage you to get out there and take a look and if your dog is old enough enter it in the Jr. All you need is a blank pistol, a dog and the entry fee. Go out and let your dog do it's thing.

Not to ask a stupid question, but does the dog need to be AKC registered? Nice pics and looks like a great time.

Harmonica,

There are no stupid questions. I think the dog does need to be AKC registered but I am not completely sure. If you have a FDSB dog I think the process to register it with AKC is relatively simple. There's some sort of reciprocity agreement between AKC and FDSB. I'm sure if you contacted the AKC or the American Field they would be able to help you figure out how to do it.

gspman

Cool pics, I've run on those grounds also. Did you talk to Dale Meier at all? He is pictured above in all orange with the vizsla and the griffon. He is a pro trainier and owns pine creek kennels near foley. Are you going to finish off your JH title at the Twin cities vizsla club hunt test? Dale will be running my vizsla Bacon at at the SH level. I would try to do it myself but my wife and I just had a son a couple of days ago.

Mamohr686,

I did talk with Dale briefly. He had a bunch of dogs running both days. I think he ran in at least 8 of the 14 braces on Sunday. He and I were in the same brace Sunday. He's seems like a nice guy and several people commented that he was a good trainer. Not sure when I'll finish up. Due to work scheduling it'll be no earlier than mid May.