Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskiehunter369

A good day

9 posts in this topic

i started out the day on saterday at silver lake for carp got 5 in about an hour and a half all about 10 to 15 pounds. then jumped in the car and went out to game haven. we started out fishing for sunfish and crappies with worms. then we headed around the lake untill we found a beaver dam and got about 10 mid sized crappies and about 20 nice sunfish. i put on a beetle spin and started geting bass. we headed across the lake and on the first cast i got a largemouth that was 22 inches long and had a 17 inch girth. we did the math thing to find the weight and it said it was 7.9 pounds. my best ever. i wish i had my camera

Wow, that is a nice day. Nice work.. What did you catch the carp on? Crawlers or corn?

That bass is a bruiser. Nice fish. They are out there for sure. A beetle-spin is a good crappie and monster gill lure (especially in mid summer). Just a friendly reminder to make sure your not targeting bass at this time of year since bass season is closed. It sounds like you were going for crappies and gills thou.

Great report and thanks for sharing.

Hey Tyler,

Since your so good at pointing out everyone else's fishing mistakes, weren't you illegally fishing for Lake Sturgeon this last week? I thought I read in the regulations that Lake Sturgeon season on the Rainy River is open 4-24-07 to 05/07/2007 or did I read it wrong? I'm just trying to stick up for the guys that get chastised all the time. I consider myself a law abiding fisherman and I'm sure muskiehunter does too. Just keeping you in check as well. I think? If I am mistaken I apologize.

NutsAboutFishing,

I'm not trying to pick on anybody, nor tear apart a great day of fishing. I'd be excited as anybody to catch a 22" largie. I just dropped a friendly reminder to those that are reading this thread that one cannot target bass at this time of year. I didn’t mean to make it sound as though I thought anybody was breaking the law.

About Sturgeon Fishing. No apology needed. There's some confusing regs about Sturgeon fishing. Feel free to recheck the regs.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1145379694

The lines below should clear it up

-Oct. 1 - April 23 -- Catch and release only.

-Anglers not intending to harvest a lake sturgeon may practice catch and release for the species during the open season.

Again, I’m not didn’t mean to come down on anybody or assume anyone was fishing out of season. FM is a great tool to keep the casual angler up to speed on the some of MN’s hundreds of fishing regulations. FM can also be a tool to help keep everyone in check (including myself) as long as we don’t take reminders like this personally.

I hope it’s all good.

I stand corrected. I did not catch the October-April 23 overlap. So you were catching and releasing I presume? And no fish were kept out of the water longer than necessary to photograph right?

Ha,

The fish in my avatar was tagged, so it was my duty to turn in the DNR tag Number. I didn't have a pen handy so I just took a picture. If you zoom in enough, you can read the tag #.

Please take any further personal attacks offline. WoW.

Nutsaboutfishing...you need to settle down. Tyler's post meant no offense. He is just being an advocate for the fish which is what we should all be doing. He didn't accuse anyone of anything, he just gave a reminder that bass season is closed, and in very good taste I might add.

Can't we all just get along? Group hug??? tongue.gif

laugh.gif haha, thats too funy, some people will find any reason to stir the pot, haha, i'm going fishing smirk.gif

NutsAboutFishing,

Tyler's post was a simple reminder to those reading the forum that bass cannot be targeted out-of-season. When a casual fisherman hops on the forum and sees that a 22" largemouth was caught at Gamehaven, the natural reaction is to go try to catch another big fish. The friendly reminder issued was to let people know that targeting bass is not legal until May. In no way did his post suggest that Muskiehunter was targeting bass out of season.