Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappie__king

Sucker run?

13 posts in this topic

are the suckers running anywhere in the area yet?

I checked some creeks that run into the St.Louis the other day and didnt see any yet. It should start any time now that we got some rain and warm temps.

Like my Grandpa used to always say, The suckers run when the buds on the trees are the size of a mouses ear!!!!! I need to find a mouse and will get back to you on this one.

The suckers should be running any day now. The buds are the size of a small mouse ear but not quite the size of an average mouse ear. Sucker sale at the pike river hatchery.

The run seems to coincided with the two weeks before the Mn fishing opener. When I was younger, and if we were not catching any walleyes, which, by the way, is a rarity for me, we would go to the inlet or outlet at Pike Lake or the White Pine River and spear a few

As of last saturday they were starting to run up the midway river so im thinking after the rain and warm temps it should be in full swing next weekend.

where is the midway river?

I checked Miller Creek at the bottom of 24th Ave. West (Duluth)and nothing there. Miller has a big sucker run usually the first week in May.

Midway River runs midway between Duluth & Cloquet and flows into the St. Louis River near Jay Cooke Park. You can access at several bridges in the Esko area.

Ive never seen any around the bridges in esko. There is a big falls that they cant get over called sucker falls and there is a nice trail in esko to get to sucker falls. Its long trail but worth the hike when the suckers are there. Theres also some nice brook trout down there.

I drove down to the St.Croux river on hiway 70 by Pine city and got all I needed in one afternoon! What a blast!! smile.gifsmile.gif

They just started to run on the iron range if anyone is wondering.

Find a creek running into the St. Louis and you will have a ball with the suckers.

You got that right... the crick near my house has produced mass numbers of suckers and eventually hits the st louis.. It's a very clear water creek and i used to see real nice walts and northerns in it when i was younger... I am out at school but bet a 100 bucks there are suckers all over it right now