Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cruizin for Fish

Seine Net for Smelting - Bag or Standard

8 posts in this topic

Just checking to see if any of you have experience with the 'bag nets' from Christianson? They are double the cost of the standard nets - but do you really get that many more smelt with them? Also - 1/4" or 3/8"? I have had numerous smelt stick with the 3/8" but is a 25' 1/4" to tough to pull? Opinions please. grin.gif

Cruizin

Several of us that do a lot of smelting have the "Bag", "sock" or what we now call the "condom" on our Christianson nets. We all love them. Are they worth it? I think every guy who has one loves them and doesnt regret paying the extra cash for it.

I highly recomend it. You really do catch more smelt with them. Of course just the standard Christianson net is much better than a store purchased net anyways and will get you more smelt.

If you can afford it I highly recomend you get one with the "sock', "bag" or "condom". No matter what you call it you will enjoy it. Oh and get the 25'er.

Northlander - You sold me on the condom - now how about the mesh size 3/8" or 1/4"?

Cruizin

Im not sure what size mesh mine is but if you call Christiansen Nets and tel them you are using it for smelt they will tel ya what to get.

After talking to Mark at Christiansen's he told me the majority of nets are the 3/8 mesh. Im assuming thats what I have. Ya I do get some that get stuck but not enough to worry about. The 1/4th may be harder to pull on a 25'er but Im not sure how much difference it makes.

Northlander - Thanks for the help - I just came back with my 3/8" 25'condomized net. Now all we need is some smelt to go with it. Drop me a line for some additional information. wink.gif

jkorienek@nrecompany.com

Cruizin

One size fits all.

Northlander, (or anyone else on this forum)

Stop in the shop next time you're in Ely, and I'll show you a little trick about bag seines that we used a few years back, works great.

And yes, a 1/4 mesh seine will be much harder to pull in current then a 3/8 mesh.

Hey Guys,

If we ever get a chance to try them this season, we'll have to compare nets. I just picked up another Christiansen net sometime in the last three weeks. I took the net up that I shared with my brother and told them I would like the same thing.

I was thinking that the net size is 3/8th but after looking at the tag I have from the box it says 1/4th. We'll have to compare and see if that's the case.

I wouldn't buy one without the 4 X 4 bag in the center. That doesn't mean the standard nest wont do a great job for you.

When I purchased my net I asked them for some extra twine to tie up the sides to the polls. If you just tie them with the top and bottom ropes that are part of the net it will leave a big bow on the sides for the smelt to get past.

Christiansen Company was great to work with and I'm sold on the quality of their products and their service.