Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Double A

Empty Tackle Box - spend my $250

9 posts in this topic

I'm ready to dump out my tackle box and start over.

If you had only $250 to put into tackle for a combination of Walleye and Panfish, what specific lures, colors would you buy?

Thanks,

i would go with your vital tackle supplies. Lindys, spinners, jigs, good hooks, and slip bobbers. I don't care what color it is as long as i can start with green. Good luck. 250 isn't a ton to start with but a wise shopper should be able to load up on some goodies. Compare b4 you buy. Nooner

Compair before you buy but dont go cheap either, some lures might be cheaper but wont last as long as with some colored hooks. I agree get the basics, basic colors, lures sizes, etc..

A while back a friend ask me to help them get started with fishing. It's amazing how such a small bag of basic fishing tackle can add up at the cash register shocked.gif

1. When on a budget buy components and tie your own spinners and rigs. Hooks, beads, swivels, quick change clevis', blades, bobber stops, slips, sinkers, bouncers. Essentials that can be mixed and matched for bait fishing.

2. My all time favorite go-to crank is a Rapala Jointed Shad Rap sized in 5 & 7. Like Perch color. Silver/Black great too. Also have a size 11 Husky jerk in the box.

3. An assortment of jig heads always helps. I love 1/32 size with tiny twisters for pannies.

Now would be a great time to reload, did you see the Skeels adds in the local paper yesturday?

I second the notion to get to Scheels!!!!! Bulk jigs, lindy, and spinner components are half off! All kinds of rods, reels, misc items on sale. Also, certain rapalas are half off but the limit is one person. I plan to use my coupon a day for a couple days this week and stock up on rapalas.

As far was starting off.....variety of plain hooks and sinkers you can usually get for a decent price somewhere if you look around, i would also find jigs that you know you will use....questions that you might ask are....what lakes do I fish? What types of structure, depths, and speeds to I fish? Use this information in determining size, color, and quantity of each. Honestly, I think I could fish any lake with a jig or a lindy and nothing else if I had too.

Hope this helps!!

If I were starting over I would buy some Gulp, Some hooks, some weights. I would buy a couple of Rapalas Shad raps, ex raps and countdowns. Charteuse, red, perch, pink colors. I would have some weedless jigs, some bottom bouncers, some swivels, leaders etc. I would also recomend the following crank baits for walleyes : Rip Shads, Thundersticks, Hornets, Hot and Tots, Husky Jerks. I would have a blade bait called a Heddon Sonar, Silver or Blue. If it were me I would also have a lighted bobber or two in my box. nothing beats bobber fishing at night.

For Jigs I would have some round head, some max gap jigs for live bait, proppeler jigs for dark water, stand up jigs, I love holographic eyeball jigs in orange, gold, and green.

If I onlly had $25.00 I would personally buy jig heads and gulp and nothing else.

Paul

Thanks everyone. I appreicate the advice.

I loaded up at the Scheels bulk sale. I still need to invest in some artificial bait.