Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nate larson

Trout fishing lures. What colors do you have the most success with?

10 posts in this topic

Just curious to hear some input on what colors have worked the best for the spin fisherman out there. I generally use silver when spin fishing. I have heard that silver works best for rainbows, gold works best for browns, and bronze works best for brookies. Has anyone found this to be true? I usually have really good luck for browns with silver but am wondering if I am missing something. Also, what changes do you make in clear water vs. muddy water. Does anyone have good success with a certain color in addition to the standar metalic blade?

My go to spinner for trout has a yellow body with black and red spots. The spinner is french #2 gold in a diamond pattern. I build my own spinners and make a few different color combinations and have had the most success with this. Here is a picture from last year that shows the spinner.

trout219may067om.jpg

That's an easy sell with a nice brown in the pic!

at some point i heard silver when the sun is shining and gold when it is cloudy and when all else fails try a painted blade. now, i have caught fish on silver during cloudy days, so who knows. but i have found that when i can't get them to bite the silver blade yellow body, i go to the gold blade black body and can get fish. or vise verse. if you are getting follows and flashes, switch it up a bit and see what happens. cool.gif

For browns, my goto (starting) color would be rainbow trout patterns (silver).

I have had my best luck on rainbow patterns but have also caught them on anything bright colored.

1) Brown Trout -White and Black Rooster-tail with a silver blade, I have heard of it called the "cow" pattern. I can almost gar-un-tee you won't find them in stock anywhere in Rochester. I always bought mine in St.Cloud when I went to school there, almost out of them now.

2) Brown Trout - I by far catch my biggest fish on Jointed- Floating Brown Trout Raps. I prefer to use the biggest size I can get away with. This is usually a J-9 or J-7, I prefer the 9.

The cow pattern sounds like a good one to try. I definately have had the most success with silver spinners, but then again I haven't experimented with a lot of different colors.

I have caught some nice sized browns on husky jerks but I haven't tried jointed rapalas yet. I am sure those could work well.

Hopefully I can make it out after work sometime this week and do some experimenting. smile.gif

The only reason I prefer the bigger size is to keep the little guys off the end of the rod. I prefer quality over quantity. I'd prefer catching 1 fish 16" or over on a trip than 30 fish 10" or smaller. But hey thats just me.

Has anyone been out lately? I am wondering how the streams are looking. I am guessing the little bit of rain we had helped add a little much needed tint to the water.