• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shakopee river fishing

Man this site is a dream come true...I have been looking for something localized like this for about 2 years now and can't belive this has been here the whole time. Looks like alot of knowledgable folks on here.

Curiosity got the best of me today and I dropped in at the new landing in shakopee. We wanted to go exploring and also wanted to start scouting some spots. Dinked around with minnows and then switched to some doughballs at a few spots but didn't have any luck.

Any advice on spots and methods for this time of year in this area? I'm open for anything really. I originally wanted to use cutbait but the local shop here in town doesn't carry suckers this time of year. Also figured I'd get some silvers with minnows, but no luck there either...

I did notice there is a spillway discharge concrete thingy between shakopee and chaska on the north side of the river? What's that a discharge for? Anybody have any luck fishing here?

Thank for any feedback!

Andrew

Let me just clear my position here before I come off sounding like someone who is looking for handouts. I completely understand you aren't going to give me your hot spots, or exact details. Any help you wish to give me will be highly appreciated.

What are my options fishwise close to shakopee without having to drive a boat several miles down or upstream? Anyone have any luck fishing the backed up cricks and offwashes around Dangerfields/Murphys landing? I did notice last year these cricks held lots of carp.

How do most of you rig your lines? Sinker 2 ft up from the bait? Been a while since I have actually succesfully pursued Cats.

Notice I said "successfully pursue" them! Haha Thanks guys!

Normally we're pretty quick responding to folks but most of us cat guys were all up on the Rainy River fishing sturgeon for the last few days.

Just by reading your thoughts, you are on the right track. I think what has to happen is the water needs to drop and summer needs to arrive. There are lots, lots! of good spots around Shakopee within a few miles of the launch. I was just up that way in the boat about 1 week ago and everything I fished last year is under water right now.

With the raging current, to have success, you need to fish where there isn't current. When you look around on the river, this becomes pretty obvious. As summer progresses, the fish will pattern themselves on more traditional structures (holes, snags, eddies, cut banks, etc).

On our trip up the river last week, we did fairly well fishing for white bass. Once again, out of the current was the best areas.

Cut sucker for cats is going to be a pretty good for bait. I really don't have much luck on anything other than some kind of fresh cut bait.

Quote:

I see your a computer wiz...maybe we can make a little trade eh?
grin.gif

Thats right and my services go free to many people who can "scratch my itch."

Dark30, i grew up in BP so you already have that working in your favor! I'm assuming that picture at the sport stop is of you holding that monster catfish?

What are you guys catching the silver bass on? I had no idea they were so common that close! (I live on 4th Ave)

Hey Low, Shakopee area while good, is limited to shore spots. Right now you are going to want to find some slack water (ie, creeks and cuts). I would recommend driving a few miles to Chaska and fish the creek at the landing there if you need to get that itch scratched. Toss out a jig and a plastic grub and see what happens, otherwise, you can't beat a crawler on a plain hook for some guaranteed action.

Another spot you can get to by foot (might be tough now, but worth it) is Eagle creek in Savage, you can hoof it back there. When I was boatless, I had a little milk run of spots to try, usually one of them paid off.

I usually do real good with the White bass around that area.. But, I have to keep my river locations a secret eheh.. Search and you will find some really good honey holes.

They still got that old pic up in there? I'll have to get them a new one.

We could meet at Dangerfields some afternoon for a pop if you want. All you'll need for a boat will be your hip boots. grin.gif All I need for my computer is a hammer! crazy.gif

Dark,

You got yourself a deal! 952-210-2000. I'll bring the hammer.

Andrew

Glad we were able to hook up Andrew! I assume your turtle ate well last night! grin.gif

yep...he didn't waste anytime getting to the other side of the tank where I dropped those bullheads in.

Great meeting you as well...Thanks again for letting me tag along...you dont seem to have much of a problem finding the fish!

Lowblazah

Did you try "Bullheads" for bait? If so, how did you do?

Dark30 seems like a cool dude. I hope to run into him someday. I think all the advisors and pro staff are cool! I have only met Dietz, but hope to meet “Dtro and Hanson” on the river some day. It is a small world, we all my have fished next each other at one time or another. I only started posting this year, because I did not care much for internet until I got my new laptop in Feb… I have been fishing like a foolish freak for 20 plus years. Almost, and I mean almost have gotten into a divorce once or twice over fish’in. Well enough rambling, Good luck and may be I’ll see ya.

SHACKBASH

Fishing, Rock and Roll and “Pop”

No didn't use them as bait but I caught a few little guys on my twister as I was reeling in. I threw the few little ones I caught into a bucket and took them home for my snapper I have in a 120 gallon tank. He isn't picky about whats for dinner.

If they survive life in there (which i doubt) then I will use them for flatheads later this year. I am pretty pumped to get out there and start targetting them with bullheads.

Went out last night and absolutely murdered the sheephead and baby channel cats...until this non english speaking mexican noticed and walked all the way down the bank to fish next to me...sits about 10 feet from me...casts his bait right next to mine...then grabs his other rod and cast it out there too. I tried explaining the regs to him and that he was a little close but this guy had no idea what i was saying....so i left.

It's that time of year. Will be on the river somewhere on Sunday around the Shakopee/Carver/Chaska stretch. I'll post a report on Monday.

Quote:

It's that time of year. Will be on the river somewhere on Sunday around the Shakopee/Carver/Chaska stretch. I'll post a report on Monday.

How did you do?