Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJCatfish

Weekend Youth Hunt

6 posts in this topic

We had one of the youth hunts set up by the MN DNR and the NWTF here in Ottertail County over the weekend. I was fortunate enough to take this young man and his dad out after a longbeard. This is what he ended up with by 6:50 a.m. Saturday morning. I would have to say that this hunt was more exciting than any other hunt I've been on myself. What a great morning. I know we heard 40-50 gobbles in about a 50 minute span. The bird weighed in at 24 lb. 3 oz. and had a 10 1/4" beard. We didn't get an accurate measurement on the spurs, but will soon. Both the son and dad are hooked on turkey hunting now. What a blast!

100_0421.jpg100_0417.jpg

Dad and son

Good Luck to all!

MJ

Congrats to the young man on his first bird. That is one nice Tom. cool.gif

This is just awesome---congrats to all parties involved! Keep up the good work!!

AWESOME!!!! I personally would like to thank the DNR and the NWTF....my son was one of the 8 that hunted in 440. Although he didn't get a bird he had a blast and so did I video taping the hunt. Special thanks to my sons guide Mark Iverson and the hunt master Tom Kalahar. In case the two of you read this he has been driving his mother nuts with the turkey calling getting ready for my season in May. He may just be able to call me one in, you never know!

A young hunter from 440 got a Jake on Sat but no reports for Sunday.

Thanks again to the above two and also all the other guides that helped make this a great experience for these young hunters!!! Another thanks goes out to all the landowneers that gave permission to hunt. Without them of course this wouldn't have happened at all.

Thanks to all!

My daughter was lucky enought to be chosen last year to hunt at Chester Woods Park near Rochester. We had a blast and she was able to harvest a nice Tom. She was bummed not to be drawn for a regular tag this year. I'm hoping this picture comes up. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/2044mustang/DaniellesFirstTurkey-09-1.jpg

Congratulations to the young man!!!

wd