Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyehead

Need a little heads up on an access for Opener??

17 posts in this topic

Well we are going to be on the big pond for our first opener. We are going to launch from a resort and I guess my question is. What would be a good time to get up there and launch the boat without having to wait for hours?? What would be a good one to launch from?? Thanks for any advice!!

Depends what side of the lake you are fishing but I would say a general rule is get there before 6:00AM and it shouldn't be too bad. BUT w/ the low water levels this year I do think the resorts will be busier than normal. See ya on the pond!

Check back in the next couple of weeks. The Crakner is going to give access updates. Usually, if your'e up there no later than 5:00 you s/b ok to launch. Bring a pair of waders with you this year!!

We ususally put the boat in Friday night after dark, get the cabin ready, eat some food and hit the lake a little before midnight. Last year I caught first keeper @ 12:03, I was so amazed... 3 minutes trolling and a perfect 19 1/2" walleye. I hope this year works that well.

Youngie22 I Hear ya We do about the exact same thing except our first fish took 15min and it was a 20 1/100000 just tad to big. good luck

I should know this...but opening weekend you can fish at night right? We are going up opening day...in the past I recall putting in just prior to daylight...a little after 5am. But then I also remember putting in right at 6am some days also because of the rules. (man...I'm getting old if I can't remember this stuff) I'll check the regs but you guys are so quick and right on with your info I figure you can set me straight. Thanks...good luck to all and be nice to each other up there! FL Sniper

Edit: Found it...looks like you can be out at 5am opening day if you want. Night ban starts May 14.

For opening weekend you can fish nights until sunday at 10pm. Then it is closed until June 11.

This is a quote from 2007 regulations.

"No one may fish for any

species or possess fishing gear on the lake from 10 p.m.-6 a.m. starting at

10 p.m. on May 14 and ending at 12:01 a.m. on June 11. "

May 14th is Monday, so you can fish late Saturday and Sunday night.

Are the launches packed all morning on the opener? Or is it a little better at say 10am than it is from 6-9?

I would say there is apretty steady in and out of traffic all day and all weekend! Patience is the key. I have pulled boat onto shore, grabbed truck and trailer to go back to cabin to rest and eat while the lines die down.

HOW PACKED ARE THE ACCESSES AT SAY 10 PM NIGHT OF???

Hard to say on that one, it depends a little on the weather and forcast. Usually I put my boat in around that time and then head back to the cabin and wait for the clock to strike 12.

when u do that is it usually pretty crowded??

if there is fair weather it can be busy, poor weather not terrible.

should be a little busier than normal being as most public accesses will be unusable, especially north

How about the Garrison access? Good to go or not? confused.gif

depends what you mean "good to go", the water is still low, not great for big boats. May need to get truck in the water a little.