• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion 2007 Report

Arrived home a bit a ago an thought I'd post a short report.

In one word awesome!

Pretty much ditto of last year. This trip is so much fun just about every boat caught at least one 50" fish!

Most of the fishing was done in the river as there was still ice out in front of Schusters until Sat Morn.

ec30_06 (Eddie) was a first timer and his first fish he caught was a fat 51"er!

I can't recommend enough to free space on your calendar for next year. You really can't beat it.

Thanks again to everyone, and it was very nice seeing all the familiar faces and meeting new ones.

I think Basscatcher is hooked for life grin.gif

I could go on and on, I'll let someone else do that.

Here are a few pictures.

I managed to boat another 60"er this year. Dumb luck I guess. Also caught the biggest sucker I've ever seen (7lbs and 26")

Ed's 51"er

IMG_0126.jpg

My 60"er

IMG_0133.jpg

7lb Sucker

IMG_0127.jpg

grin.gif Great pics, I posted a couple of the first timers from our crew on get togethers, sturgeon excursion. We had lots of big fish as well, with our group catching near 60 fish. Brent

dtro, Just a note to say Thank you for the tip on the length of my snell. What a great trip and great guys who help out so you can catch those MONSTERS. It was a fishing trip of a lifetime and will bet next year for sure. After changing my snell length I caught fish measuring 52.5, 50, 50, (2) 48.5s and (3) 48s. I caught 3 tagged fish and with help from Scott we are gonna try and get some information on the tagged fish. Basscatcher, what can I say Buddy. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Nice meeting everyone and looking forward to keeping in touch. Take care all.

STURGEON FISH OF A THOUSAND WORMS

it was a blast for this first timer, but we only boated 36 fish with maybe 10 over 48 ? and one legit 60. Thats because my judge only go to 30" makes it hard to get a true length.

Wow.....what else can be said, but WOW!!!!! I'm still shaking my head in amazement/disbelief/astonishment.....the adjectives could go on and on!

I'd like to first take an opportunity to send a huge thank you out to Schuster's resort for running a 1st class operation. All the people at Schuster's are top notch and their cabins are fantastic. THANK YOU SCHUSTER's for allowing us to stay at your resort and be a part of something that will forever be engraved in my memory. laugh.gif

As for the fishing trip, except for mother nature keeping us off the big lake (for the most part)the weater was gorgeous with temps ranging from 60 - 70 degrees, plenty of sun (sunburn!) and only a brief 1hr shot of rain on Saturday which never slowed us down.

We got on the river Thursday afternoon for our first sturgeon fishing ever and were able to land some sharp 26" - 37" fish. Friday was much of the same with fish in the same range. After receiving some helpful tips from Tyler and others on Friday night, Saturday was to be the beginning of something special. I can't remember all the exact numbers, but we tore into a 55", 52.5", 2 - 50"ers and a host of 46" - 48.5" fish (~8 of them..."da chise31" has the numbers). Great trip, right? Yeah, but.....this morning we got on the water at 7:30am and it wasn't more than 30 minutes when I hauled in my PB of 54". A little while later we had a 48"....then a 47.5"....then a 47"....then a 45" (I believe)....and at 10:15am Kirk (wall eye assassin) was hooked onto a brute and at 10:30am I laid into one. Another 15 minutes later we had 102" of fish landed in the boat...a buiser of a 50" by Kirk and a slender 52" by yours truly. A double 50"+ to top the whole thing off! You CAN'T script it any better than that!!! Oh yes, one other fun part is that 5 of the fish we caught had tags. Can't wait to hear back from you Scott!

Well, I could go on and on and on, but I won't. One thing is for certain...for me, 98% of this trip is locked into memory! wink.gifshocked.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

Here's just a few of the most powerful freshwater fish I've ever seen. cool.gif

Kirk's (wall eye assassin) 52.5" pig laugh.gif

p4210092vo0.jpg

Scott's (da chise31) 55" brute

p4210087dl6.jpg

Oh No! Wait! Here it is! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

p4210089vz9.jpg

And my 54" from this morning. cool.gif

p4220102fu8.jpg

And last, but not least....what a great group of people there was up there! I mean downright friendly, helpful and funnier than snot folks! It truly was awesome to meet all of you and to finally put soooo many names to faces. smile.gif It was an honor!

Kirk & Scott....you guys are awesome! Thanks for the company! cool.gif

Basscatcher, I might edit that video I send of you catching all those fish so you are wearing a pink skirt if you keep that up with the creative captions! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifj/k

Okay, first off hats off to Schusters. Very affordable, very friendly, nice cabins, very accomodating. All the NASCAR nuts got to see the Phoenix race since Schusters had cable. We took over the bar each night and they took great care of us. Heck, we took over the TV on Saturday night and hooked up the video camera so everyone else could jealously observe basscatcher, wall_eye_assissin, and my freak of a day sturgeon fishing.

Eric and Kirk, I'll send out those pictures and maybe post a few on here if time allows. I'll get to the video when I can, but I'll make sure you get a copy first and foremost. When I buy that hardware and get some editing time, I'll post a few vids in that forum as well. Guys, again, thanks for all of your planning, investment, and hard work. I couldn't have done it without either of you. Our trip will make a great story and I'll be sure to get you a copy of that as well.

If anybody else has any more tag numbers, shoot me an email and I'll collect them and send them off in a bunch. Baudette's fisheries office is super busy and it won't slow down for quite a while, so if we could send everything in one big bunch we could probably get the results faster. I overheard some grumbling that last year some guys didn't ever hear back about their fish.

To those that didn't go on the trip: You don't know what you're missing. It was a good chance to meet some new folks. I only regret that I didn't get a chance to meet everybody in the middle of all that fishing and fun, but I did meet quite a few of you. Hopefully I can get to more of these things and for sure return to Sturgeon Excursion 08.

ec30_06, hopefully we can get out and chase some cats this summer. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours...plenty of places for us locally or you're welcome to join me on the St. Louis. I enjoyed talking with you and the rest of the cat guys: Papa Grump, dtro, and hanson, and laughing at all the dumb jokes during our sturgeon video.

It was good to finally meet Rick and harvey lee. If you see this harvey, I might be picking your brains soon on bowhunting. Eric and I talked about it and you're not too far from home for me, although if you charge $800 for a King Kat Pro Rod, who knows what your tips on bowhunting will cost! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

marine_man was tuning up boats. I was lost when you said "how's she running?" smile.gif Everybody enjoys the free tuneup and help.

Heck, I found out I work next door to Mike Walerak, maybe we'll have to take lunch at the same time and find out what's biting where.

To sum it up, the people are awesome, the fishing is even better. I had a blast and it's something you can't do anywhere else. Lots of great memories, pictures, videos, and a broken hook souvenir (I managed to catch it before it broke, I guess I better take it easy with all that heavey gear) Well, I gotta get ready for tomorrow and hit the hay.

Quote:

dtro, Just a note to say Thank you for the tip on the length of my snell. What a great trip and great guys who help out so you can catch those MONSTERS. It was a fishing trip of a lifetime and will bet next year for sure. After changing my snell length I caught fish measuring 52.5, 50, 50, (2) 48.5s and (3) 48s. I caught 3 tagged fish and with help from Scott we are gonna try and get some information on the tagged fish. Basscatcher, what can I say Buddy. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Nice meeting everyone and looking forward to keeping in touch. Take care all.

STURGEON FISH OF A THOUSAND WORMS

What length snell were you guys using? I've usually used something about 18" or so.

Uff Da...

What a weekend! What a weekend!

I'm not even sure where to start.

I've got photos and stories that I'll be sharing. Stay tuned!

I think its safe to say everyone had a blast. We even ran into a few folks that took "We Have More Fun" to a whole new level! wink.gif

This was by far the best trip, I've had yet. My group ended up catching 47 fish with 11 over 50" (64,58,57,56,54,54,52.5,52,52,51.5,50). I'm glad I bought the 60" muskie ruler. Since, I'm still in the dark ages (no digital camera) I will try and post pictures when I get my film developed. In all, we caught 109 feet of sturgeon shocked.gif and two tagged fish. The trip made my dad's day and am sure he will talk about this for awhile (he had never fished them before). Although, I didn't socialize with many FMers I did have dinner and dropped a few tips to smallie-hawgin and biglakeba$$ and let them fish by me on Saturday grin.gif. I'm sure I saw a few others on the water (blue Lund Predator II) up near Frontier. But Schuster is to far to drive after a few beers.

As for tagged fish, I am very surprise to hear that some never received information on their tagged sturgeon. Having worked at the Baudette office for 3 1/2 years and running the sturgeon assessment in '04 - '05, we sent letters off once or twice a month. Tom is on the ball and will get the letters out unless something is missing.

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time. Oh yeah, dtro that 7lb sucker is a shorthead redhorse tongue.gif still very impressive grin.gif

WAR EAGLE!!!

We had a good time, too! Saturday, we boated 5 over 50" (and four of those were consecutive fish in a 1.5 hour span). Well worth the drive.

DTRO, that's a redhorse. White suckers have smaller scales. (oops, I see wareagle beat me to it!)

The great Papa gump (who I failed to mention in my first post ), and dtro gave me the tip of a snell no longer than 12 inches. I think mine was 10 inches. AGAIN THANK YOU to everyone who helped make this trip one to remember. I to would like to thank SCHUESTERS for there nice lodge and the great service in the bar area. Eric (basscatcher) and I spent some time there starting thursday night. (we think) tongue.gif

Hey Ralph, I'm pretty sure we are all wrong about that fish. I think it's a silver redhorse. That's what Tyler thought and it matches the description.

All suckers to me smirk.gif

Quote:

Hey Ralph, I'm pretty sure we are all wrong about that fish. I think it's a silver redhorse. That's what Tyler thought and it matches the description.

I can't tell the difference between the species of redhorse, but I know that it is definitely a redhorse. We caught several just like that, too.

Quote:

I concur... Silver Redhorse.

A Shorthead Redhorse has dark red fins.

Basscatcher

For this being your first year chasing sturgeon, I would think you might want to write a book. All three of you guys really schooled them.

We did alright, but you guys were on your game. Just think of the size of the fish you may have caught if you were a Earnhardt fan instead of that 24 guy. grin.gif

The Gordon stable had their A-Game going on Saturday! grin.gif

Much of the credit has to go to Tyler for tipping us on the area he was fishing. We tried to stay away from his exact spot, so we motored a couple hundred yards further downstream and were lucky enough to drop anchor right in the middle of all those brutes. It was great fun watching their tails break water and even some huge heads pop out of the water. We knew we were onto something special when we saw that. And there were fish in that area much bigger than the 55" we got, guaranteed.

I'm glad your boat and Paul's boat got in on the action too. Sounds like you really tied into some nice fish....once we left and you weren't getting cut off from both sides. wink.gif

PS - I want to get those rods back to you, so just let me know when that might work for you. Maybe the May 5 Tetonka spring get-together?

Sturgeon Excursion 2007

This is the second year in a row now that this has been my highlight fishing trip of the year!

Simply put... the fishing is amazing!

Dad & I arrived at Lake of the Woods / Rainy River on Thursday afternoon and drove up to the Vidas Landing on the Rainy for our first day of tugging big fish off the bottom. Not only was this dad's first time up here, it was my new boat's first time on the water this spring and I wasn't sure what to expect. Thankfully, she had some hiccups but nothing to handicap us to bad.

We set up on an area of deeper water in the river, about 18-19' hole, and proceeded to play the waiting game. I was hoping and praying that dad would get the first fish of the trip but that was not to happen. I ended up tangling with a little 44" for a few minutes. It was really fun watching dad's reaction to the fish but like I said, I was hoping he caught it.

1st Sturgeon of the Trip!

04-19-07%20Chris%20-%20Sturgeon%201.jpg

That felt good, 1st fish in the boat and we hadn't even been fishing very long. We knew we were in a good spot, my Lowrance LMS-334 kept showing very large arcs passing beneath us. When I say large, they were VERY LARGE! smile.gif

Not too much later, fish #2 was on! Better fish, this one was much better! While I was fighting it, dad was running his video camera. I'm not sure what shocked me more, the size of this fish or dad figuring out how to do the video on his digital camera. LOL! What seamed like 10 minutes later, we had this one in the boat and it pulled the tape to 49". Woo Hoo! Now we are talking!

Hanson with a Rainy River 49" Sturgeon

04-19-07%20Chris%20-%20Sturgeon%2049.jpg

I will say one thing, these fish are persistant! I don't think I even got a 10 minute rest break after the 49" when I tied into another big fish. I offered dad the rod but he wouldn't take it. I really wanted him to feel the power of these fish but he wanted to "catch" his own. Honestly, I just wanted a break 'cause I was worn out from fighting one a few minutes ago. smile.gif

Hanson with a 50", 2nd Big Fish of the Day!

04-19-07%20Chris%20-%20Sturgeon%2050.jpg

After catching those 2 big ones back to back, the bite quieted down where we were at and decided to make a short move. Our next spot ended up being the sturgeon nursery, we landed 6-7 smallish fish but dad finally got one! Not much to brag about but he was cute! LOL!

Dad's on the board!

04-19-07%20Randy%20-%20Sturgeon%201.jpg

Our first day on the water was simply amazing! 2 big fish, dad's first sturgeon, a bunch of suckers, and a bonus walleye couple with great weather! What more could you want?

On Day 2, we proceeded back to the same spot. The river was now full of boats but the spot we fished was empty. Good or bad, I'm not sure. What I do know is Dad finally hooked a good fish about 5 minutes into the day. And when I say good, she was good! All dad could do was hold onto the rod and smile. Looked like he was having fun! We finally got it in the boat and taped it out to 51 1/2". I should add it was a very, very girthy 51 1/2"!

Dad with a 51 1/2", Way to Go! What a Hog!

04-19-07%20Randy%20-%20Sturgeon%2054.jpg

But then things shut down and we were off our game. We picked up a bunch more suckers, a few smallish sturgeon, but couldn't connect with anything large the rest of the day. But while we were sitting idle; Papa Grump, Dtro, and ec30_06 were laying the smack down 25 yards away from us. Darren pulled big fish of the day in their boat with a 60"! Awesome. smile.gif

Day 3 was a race to beat Papa Grump's RiverPro back to "the spot". We lost, which wasn't so bad because Grump would have given us the RiverPro bath if we did beat him. :o

Similar to yesterday, Dad popped a fish right of the bat! And wouldn't ya know, it was another hog! Dad played the fish for about 10 minutes and we netted her. After seeing a bunch of 50" or so class fish, this one fit that mold as well. But the tape measure wouldn't lie, 54"! "Your kidding me," my dad says. smile.gif Nope!

Dad with his personal best 54" Lake Sturgeon!

04-19-07%20Randy%20-%20Sturgeon%2052.jpg

And so it goes... Catch a big fish... Wait, and wait, and wait! Other boats were doing well on numbers of midsized sturgeon but we weren't catching them. It was a 50" or nothing it seamed which made for a lot of time to watch other boats catch fish. And then another one tapped my line. Gotta be a big one with the pattern we were on. Yeppers! It was game on for another nice fish. But this one did something none of the others have done- it JUMPED! As I was fighting it, the line went slack and I said "She's going to jump" and right on que, it leaped out of the water about 3' right at boatside! Awesome! The fight wasn't over yet as she went to the bottom for another 5 minutes. When all was said and done, we had another 49" in the boat. Sweet!

04-19-07%20Chris%20-%20Sturgeon%202nd%20

Time to call it a day! Back at Schuster's Resort, we told tales and swapped fish stories with all the other anglers that showed up for the Sturgeon Excursion. Excitement was at an all time high amongst everyone! Everybody caught lots of nice fish with some real brutes coming in as well. What a weekend! I had fun chatting with old friends and meeting new friends as well. I'd name drop but afraid I'll leave someone out. A big Thank You is in order to the staff at Schuster's for rolling out the red carpet for us! We'll be back again next year!

But the fishing wasn't over, Dad & I decided to brave the fog and see what 4 mile bay had to offer on Sunday morning. And what the bay had to offer was nothing short of amazing. There were sturgeon surfacing and splashing all over the place! I mean ALL OVER THE PLACE! Boats were pulling in fish left and right and we got in on a little of that action. Most fish were midsize out in the bay for us, but we got 2 Sturgeon Tags! I got my first tag and dad got his first tag back to back. We also had simultaneous hooksets on a double. We did the round and round in the boat as my fish went one way and dads went the other way. Can you say chaos? Just awesome!

Here's my 1st Tagged Sturgeon!

04-19-07%20Chris%20-%20Sturgeon%20Tagged

I've said it once already... What a weekend!

Thanks everyone for the memories and we'll see you next year!

[Note from admin: This is the 3rd Annual HSO/FM Sturgeon Excursion.]

[Note from admin: It has actually been going on for 3 years now and was originally organized to do an HSO show and we had around a dozen FMers that started it.] It grew and snowballed into what it is now. Who would have thought this many people would be interested in fishing for bottom feeders? smile.gif

My understanding is that us FMers and the other group coincidentally had this trip scheduled at the same time these past couple years. Most of the FMers stay at Schusters while the others stay elsewhere.

I tell ya what though....being a walleye fanatic, I had no idea what I was missing out on! I now know, and will not miss out on this event again if I can help it!

Chris,

Nice photos and story....I enjoyed it. Makes me wanna go back.......

Ok. thats it.. .if I get asked to work this weekend next year.. I will tell them I died or something like that!... ARGH!!!.. it hurts to look at all these picts...

Thanks all for the great picts, at least I can get a feel for the amount of fun I missed.

Quote:

Quote:

I concur... Silver Redhorse.

A Shorthead Redhorse has dark red fins.

Yep, certainly a Silver Redhorse.

Basscatcher,

Thanks for the props, but I'm going to go ahead and forward those props onto fiskyknut as he is the guide that showed me almost every hole (including that one) I fished in over the course of the weekend. I'm always more than happy to help thou. It's the least I could do after that supper and drinks you provided for me.

That's one reason I really like this group of FMers. Just a bunch of guys that want to help others catch fish. I never heard one single person go into "mute mode" when asked where they were fishing.

What a great trip. I'm waiting on some pictures and I'll get a post up as soon as I get them.

Some of the highlights from the fishing..

-Quadruple (yep, hooked 4 sturgeon at the same exact time and landed them all within 60 seconds of eachother) 2 big ones even. We have photos

-1-tagged 44”er caught by me. (2 years in a row catching a tagged Sturg)

-2 over 50”

-Fiskyknut and I had 4 doubles

-Monster bullhead

-more to come

I'm with you Deitz. This whole job thing is a real drag!!

HOLY COW! - I'm jealous. Our deer shack is minutes away from there. I might have to join you guys next year. Great pics!

Quote:

Chris,

Hey Tim- Was nice chatting with you at the boat ramp the other day. I know what you mean... I want to go back up now, but that requires a 6 hour drive. frown.gif

I think next year I'll have to do the walleye thing as well and come up a little earlier. Something I've always wanted to do but never got around to it.

Chris,

I usually go up several times every spring...shoot me an email when you're planning your walleye trip, and I'll help you out in any way I can.

The sturgeon bite really good then too, in fact in my opinion, even better. cool.gif (I am always torn on which species to be fishing)

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

Hey Tim- Was nice chatting with you at the boat ramp the other day. I know what you mean... I want to go back up now, but that requires a 6 hour drive. frown.gif

I think next year I'll have to do the walleye thing as well and come up a little earlier. Something I've always wanted to do but never got around to it.

What walleye thing. I am in. That is something I want to do every year but it seems like I run out of weekends.