Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DancesWithWaves

Early great day of fishing!!!!!!!

13 posts in this topic

We made it out for a good part of today looking after those early crappies and were pleasently suprised with what we uncovered. The best day of overall fishing in the brainerd lakes area. Although we were targeting crappies, we caught 74 largemouth bass, all of which were in the 2-4 pound range with many near 5 lbs. The biggest one was a mammoth 22", got pictures of it and released it. Later on we did catch some dandy crappies, 10 to be exact. Two large dogfish also greeted us. The ice is still on the main lake of pelican, but the bays are hot!!!!!

Sounds like some fast action. Today around the bait shop reports were lots of sunfish and bass, then a crappie here and there. Everyone was in a great mood. One of the best times of the year. The hunt for crappies is on. Big time. Nice report!

Jason Erlandson

Isn't it illegal to keep bass this time of year, even if it is just for a picture??

Where do you get your info Tbags. Im always pleasently suprised by some of the stuff that come's out of sportsmans mouths about the legallity of things. No its not illegal to take a picture of a bass you accidently catch out of season, that would be asinine. It is illegal to keep bass out of season or target bass out of season. But the above post did not mention a thing about keeping any bass. That right there is the skinny. cool.gif

I do believe if a guy was technically being a jerk, the rules say out of season fish must be "immediately" released upon accidentally catching.

You have to be targeting that species. If you have a crappie jig on and a bass hits it you have to release it. One spring on pelican some numbskull was casting a spinner bait obviously trying to catch bass, he had several in a bucket, I informed him the game warden is down here frequently as the bass are out of season, he kind of looked at me like "duh" , some people are total idiots and give fisherpeople a bad name , oh well

Quote:

I do believe if a guy was technically being a jerk, the rules say out of season fish must be "immediately" released upon accidentally catching.

Does that mean you cant take a picture?

Technically, taking a picture would mean it's not an "immediate" release. There are very few wardens that would write you a ticket for this. But there's those select few out there that are on their power trips. Same thing with undersized fish. With the slots that are on Mille Lacs, think anyone has taken a picture of a fish in the slot? (I don't think I'm the only one!) Those fish are supposed to be immediately released.

Aaron

Thats kinda what I was thinking.

Like most people, most CO's I've known and met have a bit of common sense and discretion. On that note, don't think just because you have a crappie jig on they won't think your targeting non game species. They aren't idiots either. If your catching hundreds of bass out of season and not attempting to move or try other techniques, I'd have to assume they would frown on it.

I know I would. Yeah I've caught numerous bass while crappie fishing in the spring, and some spots its pretty unavoidable, but I also don't think its cool to target them or brag about all the out of season fish you caught.

I'm sure I could sit on a rockpile on Mille Lacs with a "crappie jig" or slip down the Rainy with a "sturgeon/sucker jig tipped w/ half a crawler this week and produce some awful cool pictures. I don't think the guys in green would like it though...

I'm sure they wouldn't we impressed with the title "Early Slaughter!!!!!!!" either.

You guys should talk to the linders about filming a tv show on a lake north of mille lacs 6 days after ice out, catching bass. I dont see how taking a picture of out of season fish is really a problem. We were not targeting the bass using flu-flus tipped with a crappie minnow. If you guys were to catch the biggest bass of your lives unexpectedly and you had a camera on you, dont tell me you wouldn't want to capture those memories.

Thank you for the ice info. I do agree that the title could have been tamed back . We'll be there on Saturday. We always stay at White Birch and fish for crappies the 2 weeks prior to opener and then open on Pelican. Been doing that every spring since 1978 and it still can be hit or miss day by day . The bass always tear up the light tackle and if that is all we're catching we move on .

I was agreeing with the statement about taking photos on Mille Lacs.I dont know anyone that will throw back a 27.5" late ice fatty without taking a photo first.I'm with you on this one DancesWithWaves.I'm pretty sure I wont move because there are bass in a spot where there are crappies either.