Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainydaze

Big Pike!

11 posts in this topic

Big Gators are coming in shallow! Couldn't stand it anymore, so headed out into the bays this afternoons in which have ice breaking away from the shorelines. Caught and released 7 pike in about 2 hours of fishing. Biggest fish went 14lbs. Also got a real nice digital picture of 5 pike huddled together in about a foot of water. The biggest fish easily went 20lbs plus! Funny thing was the second biggest fish was about 7-8lbs. Another being around 5lbs while two other fish probably went only a couple pounds. All the fish were up in the shallows so close they were touching each other while milling around together. Was able to float to within a couple feet of them before they took off. Wow the water is indeed very shallow! Most of the cattail growth is pretty much out of the water which will hinder the spawn for these gators. This time of year is a great time to fish big stick baits slow as well as large minnow mimmicking plastics in a nuetral bouyancy as these fish are scavengers this time of year, and will not pass up a free meal on a dead or dying presentation. GOOD FISHING!

Here are a couple of pictures!

1 large northern spawning and 4 others around her.

image.jpg

Here is one I caught and released.

image.jpg

Great pics. Few people realize that when the ice is gone on the lakes the northerns and walleyes are pretty much done with the spawn.

Hey Dances,

Your exactly right! These fish spawn predominately with a sheet of ice on the main basin. The bays and rivers free up and push a bit of warmer water which pushes the fish to spawn.

I am green with envy...Observing the pike in the shallows this time of year is pretty cool. I could never get them to bite on my stick baits....obviously dead bait and plastics (slow presentation) is the answer. Glad to hear about some good sizes and numbers. I guess pike move on, even in the shallow drought years. I will not be able to experience the pike onslought this year as I am currently iced in on the island. I've been checking at night for spawning walleye but haven't been able to see anything yet, the ice sheet is still covering most of the spawning ground. There is not much current out here do you think that effects the spawn ?....

Hey Dock!

I bet you are locked in for a bit. I couldn't think of a better place to be stuck for a few days though. I bet those eyes will be showing up in the next week. Caught 7 fish again this afternoon, but not as big. 1 about 5lbs and another at 7lbs the others were little guys. I really think this is going to be a very poor year class of fish due to the extreme shallow water. Take care Buddy, and don't try skipping the sled across! There is plenty of stucture out there already!

Very cool pics, that one in the first pic is a TANK...

Awesome pics RD. I have been anxiously waiting to hit the water for some pike before opener, and this post isn't helping any. I will be out targeting crappies until I can get back north and start casting some bigger lures at some toothy critters. Keep up the good work!

Try using Flys. In-active and lazy spring pike love them. We have just as much success using a Pugalesi, Micky Finn or a Tarpon fly as live bait. Just a suggestion.

Jackfish

Just thought I'd give a bit of a update on the big pike! With the water levels low we've been finding the big fish to be hanging off the shoreline structure a bit more than normal. The fishing in the bays has been nothing short of fantastic. Yesterday I caught and released my 8th pike over 10lbs in the past 5 days. It is hard to get anything done as all I can think of is landing that 50 inch fish! The one thing about this lake is you almost become numb to the size and thickness of the fish. For anyone whom wants to catch a trophy this is one of the best times. These big pike will soon retreat, and won't be quite as vulnerable. Be sure if you target these monsters of the northwoods to quickly snap a digital and release. I can honestly say there isn't a fish I've caught and released that I think has been in jeopardy! Good needle nose is a must. Release these big fish, so we have the realistic opportunity to catch that 50 inch jack!

I too am for the release of pike, small or large. Pannies and eyes are for eating, pike and bass for sport, i believe. Some friends and I will be there 1,2,3, of June, camping somewhere in voyaguers national park, strictly u.s. side, for eyes, smallies, and snoots. I myself would prefer smallies and snoots, but, is it a good time of the year for either? Guessing smallies should be good in shallows, maybe out at the break. How about pike? Cabbage? Can't wait till June!