Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
10,000 Casts

FM Muskie Get Together

10,000 Casts

I talked to Scoot this afternoon and we want to have a little get together somewhere in the Park Rapids / Walker / Bemidji area. I vote for Mantrap OR Leech probably depending on the weather and the bite but we can sort that out later.

I will talk to Scoot about the date and we can go from there.

The more FMers the better!

John

cochemjo@mnstate.edu

10,000 Casts

What do you guys think of June 8, 9, 10???????

Scoot

Looks like Johah can't do any weekend in June. Maybe we could shoot for the first weekend in Aug? If it gets much later than that, I'm pretty well screwed for the year (baby due in early Sep, elk huntin trip soon after, bowhunting deer after that). However, we'll have to pick the weekend that works the best for the most people. John, if it turns out I can't make the weekend of the get together, maybe the two of us can team up some other weekend in early June-- we'll see...

10,000 Casts

August 3, 4, and 5th sounds good to me and it should give most people time to plan it as long as they don't have commitments. Not to mention that it will be a better bite.

What does everyone think???

John

MuskyBug85

my vote goes to the beginning of August.

Scorp1

Hey Guys,

I would be up for June 9, 10. I would think that August

might be better.

archer59

Just let me know when and where. grin.gif

Nick

fisherdog19

I'll try to make it as well, I've got some good GPS coordinates for Leech. Never fished any other lakes in the area.

DEADhead

Anybody out there want to chase one with a fly?

MuskyBug85

Danothejigasuarus bought a 10 wt just for that purpose. I think i am going to follow suit this summer.

10,000 Casts

Flys / Poppers would make for interesting throwback baits.

Everyone that has ever fly fished for skis tells me that they will out fish a normal outfit anyday...

I wonder on the hooksets if a 10 weight will handle it. I am sure on some fish but I would imagine that fly anglers would miss alot.

John

DEADhead

Most of the time you are setting the hook with a strip-set, not by lifting your rod back, like on a trout. I think most modern 10-weight fly rods would easily handle the set; the thing is if you set the hook this way and miss, you've just pulled the fly out of the fish's view/strike range. If you strip-set and miss, the fly is still right in front of the fish.

I think the only drawback to fly fishing muskies is they say that a fly angler won't be able to cover as much water as baitcaster. Sometimes it can be difficult to fish flies and hardware in the same boat.

Peter, if you'll let my fly rods on the boat wink.gif, I'm in. If not, anyone got an open seat for a flyfisher?

MuskyBug85

Hey Dead, if you can make it will bring a fly rod out. I think it would be a blast the first couple hours of the morning. 10,000 i have a 10 1/2 footer that used to be a 12 wt. fly rod that i am using for bucktails now. I used in on Kings in alaska and if it can handle them a silly musky will be not problem at all.

Scoot

Dead,

There'll be room in my boat for ya if need be. This sounds like fun- I hope it'll come together for me and everyone else.

The hiccup for me goes something like this- five day fishing trip in June, five day fishing trip in July, elk scouting trip in Aug, baby due Sep 6th, leave for elk hunting Sep 13th. I smell trouble in my future... crazy.gif

DEADhead

thanks scoot!

maybe peter will come around and let me board his boat, fly rod in hand tongue.gif

10,000 Casts

I am going to throw a post in the Muskies forum for The first weeked in august.

iffwalleyes

I would be interested for sure. Sounds like alot of fun. Not being a muskie guy though I would forsure need some guidance on what to use.

archer59

We could pick more than 'one' weekend. grin.gif I'll have a lot more free time this year since I won't be coaching girls fastpitch this summer. I'll be up this weekend opening up the cabin.

fisherdog19

You're more than welcome with fly rod in hand. As long as I can try smile.gif.

DEADhead

I've got an extra 9wt, you can cast those half chickens with me, side by side...

MuskyBug85

I am leaving the first saturday in August open. we will meet at the access at about an hour before sun up to assign boats and pair up guys. please if you want to play post so we can figure out how many boats we have. if you dont have a boat and still want to play post as well and we find some one for you to pair up with. PLEASE POST if interested. I will talk to the guys at Zorbaz and see if we can get a drink special for guys on saturday night after fishing. Jonah

Tom Linderholm

Muskiebug, if your interested I can help you out on a landing/drink special for you all to meet up. We are down on Whipolt bay next to Pipe Island on Leech.